Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Senior Scientist, Biomedical Informatics
in our San Diego
Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As a Senior Scientist
working on the R&D Biomedical
team, you will be empowered to lead bioinformatics and computational biology strategy of target selection, validation, and mechanism of action investigations across multiple therapeutic areas such as gastrointestinal diseases and CNS. POSITION OBJECTIVES:
The Senior Scientist will be part of a team focused on computational biology support of reverse translation across multiple therapeutic areas of interest of Takeda. The Senior Scientist will apply expertise in bioinformatics and computational biology to analyze various types of molecular profiling and phenotype data for the identification and characterization of genes, networks and pathways involved in normal and perturbed physiology. This information will be used to understand the molecular basis of disease pathology and the mechanism of action of drugs, and ultimately be used for selection and progression of drug targets. POSITION ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Qualifications: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Performs computational analysis of RNA-seq, other OMICS and real-world data from internal, collaboration and public sources. Applies unsupervised and supervised machine learning and other advanced algorithms to extract novel biologically meaningful information.
- Applies statistical genetics analyses to internal and external genetics data to support or falsify target hypotheses.
- Integrates genomics, genetics, epigenetics and literature data to strengthen understanding of diseases and treatment perturbations.
- Utilizes multiple approaches for analyses of genes, pathways and networks.
- Mines biological databases and provides relevant biological context to large lists of differentially expressed or regulated genes and prioritize them.
- Provides analysis and interpretation of data, specifically for the selection of new drug targets
- Writes study reports and presents data effectively in all settings and with participants of all levels of the organization.
- PhD or equivalent with Post Doc and at least 4 years of bioinformatics experience OR
- MS/MA with 14+ years of relevant experience OR
- BS/BA with 16+ years of relevant experience
- Has a solid background in basic cellular and molecular biology with an understanding of a range of disease areas including neurobiology, gastroenterology, immunology and oncology. Exposure to a wide variety of therapeutic areas such as CNS, gastroenterology and oncology is a plus.
- Fluent in the use of R (Bioconductor), Python, and/or other languages commonly used for bioinformatics analysis. Must be expert in applying major bioinformatics tools such as Omicsoft ArrayStudio, Cytoscape and Clarivate Metacore
- Must be expert in sequencing data analysis such as RNAseq, DNAseq, scRNA-seq, etc.
- Familiarity with microbiome data is a plus
- Understands the advantages and limitations of various types of human genetic datasets (e.g. GWAS, CNVs, Rare variants, etc.) and has hands on experience in using public human genetics and epigenetics databases.
- Is able to develop creative methods for integration of human genetic and epigenetic data with our proprietary mouse gene expression data to create a more robust drug target selection pipeline.
- Must be able to apply methods of unsupervised machine learning algorithms such as WGCNA, K-means, Hierarchical, DBSCAN, and/or Spectral clustering
- Must be able to apply methods of dimensionality reduction algorithms such as Non-negative Matrix Factorization (NMF), Principal Component Analysis (PCA), Independent Component Analysis (ICA), Manifold Learning and similar techniques.
- Must be expert and able to apply advanced machine learning methods such as Hidden Markov Chain, Support Vector Machines, neural nets and deep learning algorithms.
- Strong communication and team working abilities to contribute in a team that operates as a unit on large projects.
- Must be able to apply network modeling methods
- Familiarity with text mining algorithms is a plus
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects up to 25 lbs.
- Able to work in a lab environment
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- Up to 20% travel, both domestic and internationally may be required.
Empowering Our People to Shine
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Learn more at takedajobs.com
. Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
A little about us:
Takeda fosters an inclusive environment where all employees are empowered to shine.