About the company
A career at the company offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, the company colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. the company, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
Next-generation medicine design is no longer about small molecule enzyme inhibitors! Traditional targets and modalities that have provided rich substrates for drug design and decades of productive industrial and academic research are not the only targets of the future. There is a slow but steady shift in the target landscape and novel modalities such as "biased signaling" of GPCRs, covalent kinase inhibitors, allosteric kinase "activators", ion-channel modulators, protein-protein interaction disruptors, protein degraders and gene therapy are areas of intense scientific research.
Traditional strongholds in structural biology - xray crystal structures of soluble proteins, have become routine. The excitement is in the growing area of integral membrane proteins (GPCRs, ion channels, solute carriers), cryoEM structures of larger protein complexes, ribosomes and understanding the dynamics and modes of action of these molecular machines.
Towards this exciting future, we are seeking highly creative, independent, enthusiastic, versatile and motivated computational scientists with a strong background in protein modeling, dynamics and/or protein design to join the Computational Analysis and Design group (CAAD) within Discovery Sciences in Groton, CT. The successful applicant will interface with domain area experts in computational sciences, medicinal chemistry, structural biology, analytical chemistry, PDM and primary pharmacology groups and will be accountable for developing and delivering computational solutions for key medicine design project team endpoints.
• Develop and deliver timely, high-quality computational solutions to cross-functional teams within the company WRD to meet project team goals.
• Contribute to design and execution of computational strategies such as multi-meric protein complex modeling, protein design and protein conformational changes using homology/protein modeling, molecular dynamics/Monte Carlo simulations, coarse-grained modeling, allosteric and cryptic site identification.
• Understand complex scientific problems in medicine design, analyze experimental results, propose solutions, communicate results and influence key stakeholders.
• Possess a basic understanding of project team issues and contribute pro-actively through computational efforts.
• Demonstrate ability to thrive in change when faced with uncertain research problems.
• Expert analysis of relevant data and literature to extract novel insights and drive drug discovery efforts.
• Contribute to publishing original concepts and research work in peer-reviewed journals and presenting at conferences.
• Ph.D. in computational chemistry or a related discipline required.
• 1-3 years of experience in the biopharmaceutical industry or relevant post-doctoral work will be a plus.
• Expert knowledge in computational chemistry principles and ability to apply skills to pharmaceutical research.
• Expertise in standard molecular modeling packages (Rosetta, Schrodinger, CCG, OpenEye, Biovia) or equivalent open-source packages.
• Advanced knowledge in biology, biophysics and structural biology.
• Excellent track record of external publications.
• Outstanding teamwork and communication abilities. Proven scientific influence via strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
• Fluency in one or more programming/scripting languages in the Unix environment.
• Ability to thrive in a dynamic work environment, change agile, fast learner and active contributor.
• Ability to perform mathematical calculations, complex data analysis and long hours in front of a computer screen.
NON-STANDARD WORK SCHEDULE, TRAVEL OR ENVIRONMENT REQUIREMENTS
Occasional business travel, mostly in the NE US
Other Information - Internal
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
the company is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. the company also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. the company is an E-Verify employer.
A little about us:
Join Pfizer in our mission to find sustainable solutions to the most urgent health care challenges of our time. Your service is needed.