At AstraZeneca we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the upmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people's exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe. As a Medicinal Chemist (Senior Scientist) inthe IMED Oncology group in Waltham, MA
you'll play an important role in advancing new oncology drug projects to make a positive impact on changing patients' lives. This is a hands-on laboratory position within a world leading global medicinal chemistry group with a history of delivery and innovation.
We are global, innovation-driven, integrated biopharmaceutical company. Our mission is to make a meaningful difference to patient health through great medicines that bring benefit for patients and add value for society. We discover, develop, manufacture and market prescription medicines for important areas of healthcare, which include some of the world's most serious illnesses: cancer, cardiovascular disease, respiratory, inflammation, and autoimmune diseases. We are driven by a shared goal to make a positive impact on the lives of patients with these serious diseases. Oncology is a core therapy area and growth platform at AstraZeneca and our vision is to deliver life-changing medicines that improve outcomes for patients most in need.
In addition to our passion for the discovery of innovative new medicines, we understand the importance of flexibility in our work-life environment and we offer a wide variety of benefits, services and programs that provide our employees the resources they need to pursue not only their work goals but also their life goals. We are dedicated to building strong research teams that embrace the diversity of talents of team members and allow the larger group to grow and learn together to accomplish our collective goal to improve human health.
As a Medicinal Chemist at AstraZeneca, you will support oncology drug discovery programs through design and synthesis of potential drugs. Working independently as well as part of a team, you'll design and safely perform experiments, collect, analyze and interpret project data, recognize aberrant results, propose explanations including plans for follow-up experiments, and will propose synthetic routes for new analogs. You will be expected to produce quality results in an efficient and timely manner; to maintain clear and accurate records of experimental work in lab notebooks; and to drive improvements to projects and department through sharing best practices. You'll prepare summaries of work for presentation in reports, patent applications and presentations and will have the opportunity to publish work in high quality peer reviewed journals and to present work both externally and internallyRequired Experience:
- Ph.D./Postdoc in synthetic organic chemistry (0-5 years industry experience) with good track record of publications
- Detailed and up-to-date knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry.
- Experience in route design towards complex molecules.
- No prior medicinal chemistry experience required, although experience of physical organic chemistry as it pertains to medicinal chemistry desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of safe operating practices.
- Proficient in experimental design and laboratory equipment.
- Develops understanding of how his/her own work impacts the project team's objectives and R&D discovery.
- Leads by example with research integrity and work ethic
- Is reliable, showing commitment to team goals and timelines
- Shows respect for colleagues and passion for learning. Readily acquires new skills and techniques.
Next Steps - Apply today!
- Proactively shares expertise and ideas, demonstrates flexibility and open-mindedness
- Able to effectively work in a team and to communicate with colleagues at all levels. Is candid and honest in discussions
- Has a 'can do' attitude, maintains consistent work level and motivation despite negative results
- Entrepreneurial - seeking out improved solutions to challenging problems
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application on our website at your earliest convenience - it is the only way that our Recruiter and Hiring Manager can know that you feel well qualified for this opportunity. If you know someone who would be a great fit, please share this posting with them.
AstraZeneca is an equal opportunity employer. AstraZeneca will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law. AstraZeneca only employs individuals with the right to work in the country/ies where the role is advertised .