Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Senior Scientist, Biophysics in our San Diego, CA Office. Here, everyone matters and you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission. As Senior Scientist, Biophysics working on the Structural Biology & Biophysics team, you will be empowered to design, develop, and implement experiments to support drug discovery projects and characterize small molecule and antibody interactions with membrane proteins. POSITION OBJECTIVES:
The candidate is an expert in SPR and ITC, who will develop and implement strategies to study membrane protein interactions with small molecule ligands and biomolecules. The candidate is experienced biophysicist, who has impacted multiple drug discovery projects and is well-versed in methods for hit identification, validation and lead optimization. The candidate has a track record on determining thermodynamics and kinetics parameters governing membrane protein binding and has a deep understanding of GPCR signaling. The biophysicist will work closely with structural biologists, chemists and biologists in preclinical development projects and will be responsible of providing effective and innovative solutions to address target specific needs and challenges. The candidate will lead internal and external collaborations with academic and industrial partners.
- Manages the design, development, and implementation of SPR experiments to support drug discovery projects and characterizes small molecule and antibody interactions with membrane proteins.
- Proactively identifies opportunities for SPR, ITC and other technologies to investigate soluble and membrane proteins.
- Works closely with other biophysicists in the team to develop integrative approaches to address specific challenges and bottlenecks.
- Collaborates with protein chemists to optimize samples production for SPR and ITC studies.
- Leads the identification and utilization of current and emerging SPR and other biophysics technologies, whether performed internally or accessed via outside collaborators to impact projects.
- Identifies opportunities to collaborate with partners (academic, biotech and CRO) to enhance in-house capabilities. Leads and manages external collaborations effectively.
- Participates on cross-functional teams and provides technical leadership in the areas of SPR.
- Effectively presents data to other scientific staff or cross-functional project team; may present data/posters to external research or scientific community
Qualifications: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ph.D. or equivalent with Post Doc in Biophysics or a related discipline with 2-4 years of relevant experience in a research and/or development environment, or
- MS degree with at least 10 years of Biophysics experience, or
- BS degree with at least 12 years of Biophysics experience, and a demonstrated working knowledge of Biophysics scientific principles, or equivalent
- Strong track record of applying SPR to drug discovery projects.
- Demonstrated experience with biophysical techniques including, TSA, ITC, DLS, and fluorescence spectroscopy.
- Demonstrates fundamental understanding of drug discovery within one or more areas
- Strong track record of studying protein interactions and macromolecular complexes as evidenced by quality and quantity of Publications/presentations/inventions.
- Experience with preparation of high-quality protein solutions for biophysics studies.
- Familiar with Structural Biology methods such as X-ray crystallography, NMR spectroscopy and Electron microscopy.
- Positive can-do attitude with strong collaboration skills and ability to work individually and as a member of drug discovery teams.
- Highly motivated and flexible with ability to work in fast-paced environment. Ability to provide novel creative solutions to challenging problems. Desire to learn and tackle new challenges and initiatives.
- Demonstrated interest in applying biophysical solutions in fragment based drug discovery.
- Professionally represents the organization in collaborations, partnership discussions, and external relationships and conferences
- Use hands on a regular basis to handle small laboratory equipment, including multi-channel pipettors, for liquid transfers to and from 96- and 384-well plastic assay plates.
- Able to lift or move up to 10 pounds on a regular basis in the course of daily work.
- Exposure to hazardous/toxic/dangerous chemicals.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- Less than or equal to 10% travel, consisting of one to two relevant scientific meetings and/or trips to SPR collaborators and CROs
Empowering Our People to Shine
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Learn more at takedajobs.com
. Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
A little about us:
Takeda fosters an inclusive environment where all employees are empowered to shine.