Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
BioProcess Development is seeking a highly motivated Senior Scientist to join the Bioprocess Technology and Expression group. The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for generating, characterizing, and optimizing microbial (E.coli and yeast) and mammalian expression systems for the production of innovative new biopharmaceutics. Excellent scientific understanding of cellular biology and metabolism, as well as solid knowledge of strain engineering and protein expression strategies to maximize recombinant protein production is essential for this position. It is preferable to have expertise in executing fermentation processes, from microtiter plates to benchtop fermenters, in order to optimize expression strain development and product screening .
The candidate will be working in a highly dynamic and multidisciplinary environment, interfacing with research scientists and process engineers in various functions. Strong communication and organizational skills are critical to facilitate cross-function collaborations. Qualifications:
- MS degree in Biological or Engineering sciences with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience or a PhD in Biological or Engineering sciences.
- Expertise in microbial expression strain development, with an excellent scientific understanding of bacterial and yeast metabolism and of cellular processes relevant to recombinant protein production
- Experience with mammalian cell line development and transient protein expression
- Solid knowledge of upstream process development and scale-up strategies, as well as competency in employing Design of Experiments (DOE) approaches and statistical data analysis, including use of SAS JMP or similar statistical analysis software
- Experience in operating bench scale fermentation units
- Hands-on knowledge of protein analytical and purification methods such as column chromatography, Western blot, ELISA, HPLC, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with vector design and molecular cloning strategies relevant to construction of mammalian, yeast and bacterial expression strains
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement