Johnson & Johnson Consumer Inc., a member of Johnson & Johnson's Family of Companies, is recruiting for a Senior Scientist, Naturals Platform, Emerging Science & Innovation to be located primarily in Spring House, PA with a secondary location in Fort Washington, PA.
Johnson & Johnson Family of Companies touches more than a billion people’s lives each day through our health care products and services, our corporate giving, and the volunteer efforts of our employees. The Johnson & Johnson Family of Consumer Companies develop and market beloved brands that address the needs of consumers and health care professionals worldwide. Our portfolio ranges across several distinct business units: Baby Care, Oral Care, Compromised Skin Care, Beauty, Feminine Care, and OTC products.
The Naturals Platform is a critical part of the Emerging Science & Innovation organization in Johnson & Johnson Consumer R&D and is committed to the delivery of high quality active natural leads needed to sustain new product development efforts that will support growth targets across J&J Consumer Franchises. This mission requires deep scientific expertise in a number of disciplines including chemistry, cellular pharmacology, and natural target screening technologies coupled with an ability to work collaboratively with internal and external partners.
The Senior Scientist, Naturals Platform, Emerging Science & Innovation will be responsible for the delivery of natural active qualified hits against selected targets across the prioritized Consumer Need States. Major activities include HTS assay development, screening, and pharmacological profiling. The Naturals Platform group works closely with business partners across Johnson & Johnson Consumer Franchises and functional teams as well as with Pharma sector colleagues and external collaborators in academia and industry. This individual will need to connect and align with key stakeholders for the delivery of goals and objectives, fostering an environment of cutting edge science and innovation, cross enterprise collaboration, collegiality and positive communication, as well as superior performance in the context of a multidisciplinary, global team.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:Qualifications
• Lead the design and implementation of natural library screening strategies that reflect the pharmacology to be modulated in subsequent development programs
• Provide scientific leadership in (1) developing assays in cell based formats that are suitable for automated high-throughput screening in 384 or 1536-well formats (2) high-throughput screens (3) analyzing screening data, including presentations at program team meetings
• Perform a substantial level of hands-on laboratory work
• Develop innovative approaches to screening and hit triage, data processing and analysis, bioinformatics support
• Influence the course of projects, scientific methods and company’s technical direction
• Design complex experimental strategies to identify and screen active natural targets that address project goals; provide technical advice to others; demonstrate appreciable latitude for unsupervised action and decisions
• Identify complex obstacles to progress; recommend and implement solutions; solve problems in creative and effective ways; challenge current processes and recommend novel approaches
• Collaborate across multiple therapeutic and functional areas in the US, Europe and Asia
• Provide significant organizational contributions (peer review, symposia, scientific advisory boards, forums, cross-enterprise or global technical initiatives) by demonstrating intellectual leadership and effective mentoring of others
• Build global innovation ecosystem by keeping abreast of scientific and technical developments related to Naturals Platform as well as emerging science areas; attend in-house seminars and external scientific meetings, as appropriate
• Manage internal and external collaborations and partnerships
• Generate study/invention reports and publish research in high-quality journals, as appropriate
• Ensure compliance with company good laboratory practices and other regulatory/quality guidelines
• Demonstrate effective decision-making to guide and prioritize activities to support screening and hit validation discovery programs
• Generate ideas/research strategies, implements them and produces results that are of importance to the company.
• Co-author manuscripts and other publications for submission to high-quality journals and other forums
• Minimum of a Masters Degree with 6 years of related industry experience in cell-based assay development for pharmacology and high-throughput screening OR
a PhD and postdoctoral experience in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Pharmacology or a related field with 2 years of related industry experience in cell-based assay development for pharmacology and high-throughput screening is required
• Working knowledge of and/or experience in the sourcing, handling or use of natural libraries (e.g., plant or microbial origin) is preferred
• Expertise with cell-based assays is required
• Experience using detection methods, such as luminescence, fluorescence, absorbance and radiometric detection is required
• Expertise with 3D cell culture, synthetic biology, molecular modeling, structural and computational biology and/or phenotypic models is preferred
• Experience working with and guiding external collaborators in industry or academia is preferred
• Familiarity with phytochemical extraction and analysis is preferred
• The ability to prioritize projects, negotiate and influence is required
• The ability to work productively in a team setting are required
• This position will be located primarily in Spring House, PA with secondary location in Fort Washington, PA and may require up to 10% travelPrimary Location
United States-Pennsylvania-Spring HouseOther Locations
North America-United States-Pennsylvania-Fort WashingtonOrganization
J & J Consumer Inc. (6101)Job Function