Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Movement Disorders group within the Merck Discovery Neuroscience department is seeking a motivated, enthusiastic and technically skilled scientist with strong cell biology and biochemistry expertise in CNS drug discovery to join our West Point-based team. Candidates will be able to work independently and will also be expected to proactively collaborate with colleagues across disciplines. Primary responsibilities include design and execution of in vitro experiments including establishing cell-based model systems, development of immunoassays and performing biochemical and imaging analysis of cells and tissues in support of established and emerging discovery programs. The candidate will be an active participant in the positive and critical scientific dialogue in project meetings and internal/external scientific meetings.
- Primary role is to design, execute, interpret and report in vitro experiments.
- Develop disease relevant cell based models using primary neuronal/glial cells and cell lines
- Independently develop, execute, troubleshoot and validate new cell assays, protocols and cell imaging methods.
- Characterize and validate functional antibody activity in cell based and in vivo models.
- Monitor, review and critically interpret published work to guide internal research.
- Collaborate with members from other functional areas, including medicinal chemistry, in vivo and in vitro pharmacology and translational sciences.
- Communicate data clearly and concisely.
- Interface with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations
- BS/BA degree in Biological or Physical Sciences with a minimum 4 years of industry/academic experience, preferably in neuroscience or a related subject area or a Master's Degree in Biological Sciences with minimum 2 years relevant industry/academic experience or a Ph.D in Neuroscience or related discipline.
- Relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry or neuroscience research
- Extensive experience with biochemical methods such as tissue and cellular protein/RNA preps, quantitative PCR, western blots, ELISA, enzyme assays and/or similar molecular biology methods.
- Experience with primary neuronal and/or glia cell culture and/or standard laboratory cell culture procedures, including techniques such as immunocytochemistry.
- General knowledge of methods in molecular neuroscience, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.
- Strong data analysis skills including a practical knowledge of statistics and fluency with common software tools.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a team environment.
- Established record of innovative thinking to champion new ideas and solve problems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of study reports and presentations and ability to contribute to manuscripts for publication in peer reviewed literature.
- Additional years of experience beyond minimums described above.
- Experience with transgenic rodent models of neurodegenerative disease and their use in preclinical research, including immunohistochemistry, as well as willingness to perform in vivo studies
- Familiarity with in vitro and in vivo models of protein misfolding, aggregation and propagation, especially in Parkinson's disease models.
- Experience with multiple therapeutic modalities (small molecule, antibody, peptide)
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement