Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Merck Early Discovery Neuroscience team is seeking a motivated and technically skilled in-vitro scientist with strong cell biology and biochemistry expertise in CNS drug discovery to join our Boston-based team. Candidates will be able to work independently, but will also be expected to proactively collaborate with colleagues across disciplines. Primary responsibilities include design and execution of in vitro experiments including establishing in vitro cell-based model systems, development of immunoassays and performing biochemical analysis of cells and tissues to support in support of established discovery programs. The candidate will be an active participant in the positive and critical scientific dialogue in project meetings and internal/external scientific meetings.
- Primary role is to design, execute, interpret and report in vitro experiments.
- Develop disease relevant cell based models using primary neuronal/glial cells and cell lines
- Independently develop, execute, troubleshoot and validate new cell assays, protocols and cell imaging methods.
- Characterization and validation of functional antibody activity in cell based and in vivo models.
- Monitor, review and critically interpret published work to guide internal research.
- Collaborate with members from other functional areas, including medicinal chemistry, in vivo and in vitro pharmacology and translational sciences.
- Communication of data clearly and concisely.
- Interface with external academic, biotechnology, and contract research organizations
- BS/BA degree in Biological or Physical Science with a minimum 8 years of industry or academia experience, preferably in neuroscience or a related subject area or a Master's Degree in Biological Sciences with minimum 6 years industry experience or PhD in Pharmacology or related discipline with minimum 4 years post-doctoral experience.
- A minimum of 4 years of related experience in the pharmaceutical or biologics industry
- Extensive experience with tissue and cellular protein/RNA preps, quantitative PCR, western blots, ELISA, enzyme assays and molecular biology methods
- Primary neuronal and glia cell culture experience
- General knowledge of methods in molecular neuroscience, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease
- Strong data analysis skills including a practical knowledge of statistics
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a team environment.
- Established record of innovative thinking to champion new ideas and solve problems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including preparation of study reports, presentations and ability to contribute to manuscripts for publication in peer reviewed literature.
- Ability to perform high content microscopy and quantitative image analysis on multiple platforms
- Stable cell line generation, with experience using CRISPR methodology
- Differentiation of iPS cells into neuronal and glia lineages; 3-D cultures
- Experience developing assays for high throughput screening
- Background in transgenic and experimental models of neurodegeneration
- Experience with multiple therapeutic modalities (small molecule, antibody, peptide, siRNA)
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement