Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Department of Pharmacology at Merck Research Laboratories is seeking a Senior Scientist to join a group of researchers dedicated to the discovery of novel anti-infective drugs. The primary responsibilities of the group are to design, develop, and execute in vitro assays to evaluate and characterize drug candidates from antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral and/or vaccine development programs.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and execute novel in vitro assays to assess inhibition of viral, bacterial, or fungal growth by small molecules and/or biologics, and in vitro assays in support of vaccine development
- Validate and integrate new technologies or methodologies, as needed, to address questions related to drug discovery programs and projects
- Optimize efficiency and productivity through effective management of work flow
- Evaluate outsourcing options and design work plans as appropriate
- Represent Pharmacology on program teams and provide input on the design of the program's research operating plan and strategy
- Ensure timely communication and delivery of high-quality in vitro data to Therapeutic Area program teams
- BA/BS in biology, biochemistry, virology, bacteriology or related discipline and five years of experience post-graduation, or PhD in biology, biochemistry, virology, bacteriology or related discipline and 2 years of experience post-graduation
- Ability to understand and implement applicable regulations regarding the use of pathogens (e.g. virus, bacteria, fungi), human cell and tissue use, laboratory safety, health physics and chemical hazards in research.
- Experience in the design, development and execution of in vitro assays for anti-infective drug development programs targeting antivirals, antibacterials, antifungals, and/or vaccines
- Strong collaborative skills
- Skill in troubleshooting experimental design, assay development and data analysis
- Experience in assay development in support of antibacterial, antifungal drug discovery
- Experience in antiviral drug discovery, supporting vaccine development
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement