Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Senior Scientist, Project Leader - CNS Neuropharmacology in our San Diego office. OBJECTIVES:
The Senior Scientist, Project Leader – CNS Neuropharmacology will be responsible for moving CNS (Central Nervous System) drug discovery projects through the discovery stage including target validation and lead generation through lead optimization, clinical candidate nomination and selection. This individual will also be involved in projects in clinical phases and provide input on biology-related and translational biology questions (biomarker discovery, PKPD relationship). This incumbent should have knowledge of schizophrenia pathophysiology and should be able to generate hypothesis using different biological tools available (EEG, human genetics, neuroanatomy or behavior) to understand mechanism of action of internal compounds or CNS targets. S/he is expected to lead external collaborations that can lead to internal drug discovery programs. ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Qualifications: EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Expert in biology of schizophrenia and other neurodevelopmental disorders and can generate new hypothesis to address these disorders in a new angle using human genetics and translatable biomarkers.
- Leads drug discovery programs from early stages all the way to clinical candidate compound.
- Communicates with external partners to design and execute neurobehavioral experiments to inform on the progression of internal programs
- Supports external partnerships and will give his/her input into experiments supporting cognition effects of certain compounds, targets.
- Works independently to establish and validate protocols not yet set up in-house on as needed basis as well as troubleshoot issues by reviewing literature.
- Follows protocols, records detailed observations and data in electronic notebook system, creates summary reports for the projects and communicate results to the teams.
- Manages priorities, sets appropriate weekly workload for the in vivo studies, and trains junior personnel to perform studies.
- Participates in training programs, reviews and studies literature and design experiments, and provides updates at project meetings as appropriate.
- PH.D in a relevant field of Biology or related field with 4 years of experience OR,
- MS in a relevant field of Biology or related field with at least 14 years laboratory research experience OR,
- BS in a relevant field of Biology or related field with at least 16 years laboratory research experience
- At least 5 years of experience in drug discovery, particularly neuropharmacology studies in animal models of schizophrenia, autism or cognition
- Expertise in drug discovery process in an industry setting
- Highly competent in EEG-based approaches. Furthermore animal handling, dosing compounds to animals, tissue collection, animal surgery and familiarity with neuropharmacology and CNS biology is also required
- Competencies in MEA, patch-clamp and other electrophysiological techniques would be a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and possess the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Ability to design and interpret experiments collaboratively and independently
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities to achieve desired goals
- Excellent attention to detail
- Manual dexterity required to operate office equipment (i.e., computers, phones, etc.).
- Carrying, handling and reaching for objects up to 25 lbs
- Able to work in a lab environment
- Exposure to hazardous, radioactive and toxic chemicals
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- Willingness to travel to various meetings, including overnight trips. Some international travel may be required.
Empowering Our People to Shine
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Learn more at takedajobs.com
. Takeda is an EEO employer of minorities, women, disabled, protected veterans, and considers qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable laws. For more information, visit http://www.takeda.us/careers/EEO_Policy_Statement.aspx No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.