About the company
A career at the company offers opportunity, ownership and impact.
All over the world, the company colleagues work together to positively impact health for everyone, everywhere. Our colleagues have the opportunity to grow and develop a career that offers both individual and company success; be part of an ownership culture that values diversity and where all colleagues are energized and engaged; and the ability to impact the health and lives of millions of people. the company, a global leader in the biopharmaceutical industry, is continuously seeking top talent who are inspired by our purpose to innovate to bring therapies to patients that significantly improve their lives.
The successful candidate will join the department of Structural and Molecular Sciences (SMS), a multidisciplinary group with established expertise in molecular biology, protein biochemistry, protein mass spectrometry, enzymology, NMR, biophysics, protein crystallography and cryo-EM. Our mission is to provide integrated molecular insights into drug targets, lead compounds and target-compound interactions to advance discovery efforts across multiple therapeutic areas, including Inflammation and Immunology, Neurosciences, Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases and Rare Diseases.
As a Senior Scientist - Protein Sciences, you will apply expert knowledge to generate the appropriate proteins for assay development, biochemical, biophysical and structural studies. You will need to collaborate with other scientists in our multidisciplinary teams to determine experimental approaches and execute in a timely fashion to meet the various project needs. You will have the opportunity to design your own biochemical or biophysics experiments to deliver new insights to advance drug discovery projects in close partnership with scientists across Medicinal Chemistry, Biology and other platform lines, as well as drive the development of cutting-edge technologies and external collaborations.
• Protein construct design, expression, purification and characterization, preferably for both soluble and membrane proteins.
• Protein characterization and innovative approaches to deliver novel insights for our drug targets.
• Experimental results will be recorded in an electronic laboratory notebook.
• Prompt and clear communication will occur with project team colleagues. External scientific publication and presentation will be encouraged when appropriate as a means of assuring optimal research standards.
• Doctoral degree or equivalent in Biochemistry, Biophysics or related field.
• Postdoctoral training in protein sciences with ca. 2-5 years of industrial or related academic experience.
• Strong hands on skills in molecular biology and biochemistry, preferably for both soluble and membrane proteins.
• Protein purification from native tissues using affinity and conventional methods are highly desirable, so will be expertise in at least one more advanced biochemical, biophysical or structural techniques, such as enzymology, biophysics, protein mass spectrometry, gene editing or cell biology.
• Broad knowledge in cellular biology, protein characterization and biophysics will be helpful to facilitate problem-solving.
• Proven scientific influence via strong interpersonal and communication skills. Has the skill and drive to grow into a thought leader.
Ability to perform laboratory research and travel.
Other Information - Internal
Colleagues who are issued an Incident Final Warning (IFW) on or after January 1, 2016, are not eligible to post and compete for a position for a period of 12-months from the date an IFW is issued.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
the company is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. the company also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. the company is an E-Verify employer.
A little about us:
Join Pfizer in our mission to find sustainable solutions to the most urgent health care challenges of our time. Your service is needed.