The Microsoft Dynamics SRE (Site Reliability Engineering) team is looking for talented cloud service engineers to design, build & secure large scale business oriented services for Microsoft. Our team has a global presence with engineers in the US, Switzerland, & Ireland and we manage services deployed worldwide. This is a high visibility position that requires frequent contact with senior leaders within Microsoft, as well as suppliers and internal partners. As such the successful candidate has a track record of identifying and developing strong relationships and virtual teams. The ideal candidate is a deep technologist with proven track record detecting failure patterns, documenting and delivering technical details for repair items and bug fixes, and mitigating service failures in complex multi-platform environments. The successful candidate will be at ease implementing and managing the monitoring and telemetry solutions around a massive scale environment that consists of a mixture of infrastructure, application, and networking technologies.
In this role, you will utilize best in breed technology including Microsoft & Open Source projects. We are looking for an engineer ready for big challenges & capable of working in a multi-platform environment. This is an awesome opportunity in an exciting division inside of Microsoft; we are a Cloud First, Mobile First Company. You will work on some of our hardest problems, building high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with business needs. You will think globally when building systems, ensuring we build high performing, scalable systems that are highly available, secured and reliable.
• Tools: AppDynamics, Nagios/Check_MK, SolarWinds Server and Application Monitoring (Orion), SolarWinds Database Performance Analyzer (Confio), Thousand Eyes or relevant technologies
• Scripting: PowerShell, Python, and/or Ruby
• Public & Private Clouds: Azure, AWS, OpenStack, Cloudstack
• Operating Systems: Linux, Windows Server
• Core Technologies: Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft IIS, Java, .NET
• Drive problem resolution with external and internal partners as needed; provide relationship support to problem management function
• Influence feature design, architecture, standards & processes to ensure security, compliance, and availability.
• Troubleshoot complex issues and teach others how to use toolsets.
• Vet and recommend monitoring and telemetry tools
• Ability to automate tasks using scripting or other programming language.
• Identify gaps in current technology & processes & recommend improvements.
• Collaborate at depth with peers in Development & Program Management.
• Build relationships and share experiences and knowledge throughout the organization.
• BS degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent practical experience.
• 7+ years’ experience providing telemetry & monitoring insight and solutions in large scale environments.
• Experience in Big Data platforms (Cosmos, Hadoop, Azure HD insights, Azimov)
• Experience in data structures, algorithms and complexity analysis.
• Solid working knowledge on Azure or cloud services.
• Proven experience as a team player working with DevOps groups to continuously improve visibility posture.
• Working knowledge of industry standard tools and systems related to performance and systems monitors
• Deep hands‐on technical expertise in large scale systems engineering & complex distributed systems architectures.
• Superior communication skills, both verbal and written; able to articulate and visually present systemic failure patterns and mitigation strategies.
• Outstanding analytical and problem solving skills; ability to troubleshoot and debug Java, C#, .NET, SQL and other technologies is highly desirable.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities, commitments & projects.
• Demonstrated passion for customer experience & usability, including successful delivery of customer self‐service tools & automated management/optimization of services.
• Ability to develop custom software is a plus
• Master’s Degree desirable
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer & supports workforce diversity. All applications for vacant positions will be welcomed & will be considered on the relative merits of the applicant against the role profile for the position regardless of color, race, nationality, ethnic origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion, or belief.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.