Senior Software Development Engineer
It is an exciting time in the Windows Devices Group as we produce hardware that delivers on the Microsoft vision of empowering every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. HoloLens, the first holographic computer, Surface Book, the ultimate laptop, and Surface Pro, the tablet that can replace your laptop, are shining examples of the empowering Windows experiences that Microsoft is seeking to deliver to our customers. The Manufacturing Test Engineering (MTE) team is responsible for ensuring the production quality of Surface Book, Surface Pro, Surface Laptop, Surface Studio, HoloLens, XBOX One X/S, and Surface Hub using our test suite framework and our Test Control System (TCS). The MTE tool suite manages the manufacturing process by running a set of tests at each stage of production and collecting detailed test result information about each and every device. The data is used not only to determine whether a specific device is ready to ship to a customer, but is also used to make critical business decisions, ongoing product quality improvements, and essential cost reductions.
The MTE team is looking for a Senior Software Engineer who is willing to take on the wide array of challenges posed by manufacturing the leading-edge products in the Windows Devices portfolio. For the software engineer seeking an opportunity to work on a great team, leveraging ground-breaking technology within a fast-paced and highly-visible environment, the MTE team offers a unique opportunity to have a direct impact on the quality and customer perception of game-changing products such as HoloLens, XBOX One X/S, and our Surface product line. You will write the low-level routines for validating components such as the GPU, memory, display, WiFi, IR/RGB cameras, sensors, microphones, speakers, video out, USB ports, SSD drive, etc. The task is extremely challenging as many of our programs have overlapping schedules and each of our products has exciting innovative features which push our developers to develop new verification techniques.
It will be your responsibility to perform a deep dive into the products we manufacture and learn them from end to end. As such, you will be expected to have advanced embedded programming skills and extremely high bandwidth, being able to quickly understand, contribute to, and improve the software solutions that we develop. You will be expected to solve complex technical issues, establish patterns and practices, and provide technical leadership to the entire team.
Primary responsibilities of this position will include:
• Working closely with the individual product teams to understand and characterize their systems, resulting in the development of the quality metrics by which the systems will be measured.
• Developing the verification specifications and hardware testing methodology that will be used during manufacturing.
• Developing the manufacturing software, owning the entire lifecycle from design and specification, to implementation on the factory floor, to continuing to monitor its performance over time.
• Developing libraries of verification routines that can be leveraged across multiple products.
• Driving innovation in the manufacturing of our existing and future Microsoft consumer electronic devices.
• International travel in support of our development efforts.
• 7+ years of software development experience using C++ and/or C#, involving object-oriented practices.
• Extensive knowledge of embedded programming and computer hardware concepts is required.
• Proven ability to execute in all phases of the software development life cycle, resulting in high-quality software, delivered on time.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a self-directed manner, seeking out areas that need attention, rather than being asked to look at specific problem areas.
• Outstanding technical problem-solving skills and a passion to solve hard problems.
• Exceptional communication skills which includes clear written and verbal communication as well as the ability to listen effectively.
• B.S. degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or related field with relevant experience.
• Experience developing software for one of our current devices, HoloLens, XBOX One X/S, or Surface Book/Pro/Laptop/Studio/Hub.
• Experience developing with the .NET platform, preferably with an implementation performed in C#. Experience specifying and developing robust Application Programming Interfaces (API’s).
• Experience with Agile software development practices.
• Experience working within a hardware manufacturing environment.
• Knowledge of Web Services.
• Knowledge of ASP.NET.
• M.S. degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.