Senior Software Engineer
Many millions of users depend on Skype, Skype for Business and now Teams for every day instant messaging, conferencing, app sharing and more. In the Skype Infrastructure team, we are building a massively scalable, highly reliable, geo-redundant system that allows users and administrators to easily manage the system. This information must be available for many other services to consume at very high rates and with very low latency. It also allows the internal engineering teams to change the behavior of their services, manage controlled rollouts and conduct experiments.
Building and running services at scale for Office 365 is not easy, but it is a lot of fun and rewarding. We are always looking for smart, passionate engineers to help us do it. This opportunity will allow you to have a broad positive impact on how we develop and operate tools and methodologies to enable teams to innovate fast, by implementing the experimentation cycle of metrics, hypothesis, and experiment while taking action based on trustworthy data.
We evaluate and employ Big Data technologies from across the industry (both MS internal and open source) and we build our own tools where we see gaps, all with the goal of delivering a great end-to-end developer experience to the teams in Skype which in turn improves our 0ffice 365 service.
We are looking for engineers with strong data engineering interests and skills that have:
• Experience in designing, implementing and shipping complex enterprise software products/services
• Strong hands-on ability to write secure, reliable and maintainable code and to test & debug it
• 5+ years of experience in C++, C#, Java is necessary
• Experience building large-scale services on cloud platforms such as Azure or AWS
• Experience with Big Data/Analytic Systems like Cosmos or Hadoop or Spark implementations
• Experience in building developer platform services and/or developer API is highly desired
• Strong problem solving and algorithmic thinking capability
• Ability to operate and be successful in a highly ambiguous, rapidly evolving cross team environment
• Passion for improving software quality, performance and reliability and engineering excellence
• Expertise in modern engineering practices like automated deployments with integrated quality gates
• Excellent communication skills, including ability to write concise technical docs and present complex ideas
• Experience mentoring and leading more junior engineers to enable them to grow in their careers
• BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent experience
• Understanding and experience in Machine Learning a plus
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings like a Microsoft Cloud Background Check and will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check every two years.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.