Visual Studio has been an industry leading development environment for over 20 years. It is used by millions of developers daily and helps bridge imagination and reality. It enables building applications to help solve the world's most difficult problems, whether that's tracking and predicting the weather, coordinating humanitarian relief efforts, or analyzing data about the far reaches of the galaxy. The Visual Studio IDE team builds the platform that makes this possible. We strive to be customer-obsessed and inclusive. We use data to iterate, experiment, and make decisions. We are proud of quality. We create solutions together in a rich, collaborative environment and while we work hard together, work/life balance and having fun are also core values.
The Visual Studio IDE team is looking for an experienced, senior engineer to help shape the future of the Visual Studio shell.
This position is for you if you
• Love working with a smart, technical customer base
• Enjoy iterating on designs and ideas, in a data-focused and customer-centric way, in order to create the best experience
• Understand that it's okay to try things that don't succeed, as long as you learn from those efforts
• Believe that customer experience and quality is paramount, and that those can only be achieved through engineering rigor, great automated testing, and focus on fundamentals
• Desire a position with plenty of head room and to work with a mix of experienced and junior engineers
• Want to be part of a strong, highly motivated and collaborative team!
Here's what an ordinary day of work might look like
• Develop a new feature or fix a bug in Visual Studio's startup path, tool window management code, the new project dialog, base platform services like image manipulation, theming, file watching, etc.
• Ensure that the feature developed or fixed includes rich telemetry that allows both technical and business insight
• Attend a daily stand-up, and review the backlog Kanban. Describe what you did yesterday, what you plan to do today, and any blocking issues.
• Prototype, investigate, and propose solutions to difficult technical problems, such as supporting long paths in Visual Studio or achieving multi-monitor DPI awareness
• Design and coordinate fixing problems that cannot be done by a single engineer, and help break the problem down into assignable and achievable tasks
• Work with PM and BI teams, as well as the team lead and other senior engineers, to prioritize, cost, and schedule the team backlog
What you need to do this job well
• A university computer science degree or equivalent
• 5+ years of software engineering experience
• 2+ years of development in C++ and C# (or Java) as well as Windows client development
• Developed applications using, one or all of, COM, Win32, or WPF
• Worked on a team with other engineers co-developing a large application
If you're still reading this, you're probably a good fit! What are you waiting for? Apply now!
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.