Senior Software Engineer
Core Services Engineering (CSE) builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates. We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
Do you have passion to build and run world class software, using cutting-edge Microsoft technology and modern BI best practices to solve complex problems? Are you excited by driving technology strategy and vision? Corporate Functions Engineering (CFE) Finance is looking for a Senior Software Engineer seeking these challenges.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be involved in designing, coding, validating and supporting BI capabilities that enable our mission critical business processes. You will have the opportunity to design and develop creative, compelling, and cutting-edge systems that support our world-wide operations and that can be efficiently run and supported. You will develop software and services at scale, innovating on the latest technologies (BI, Big Data, Cloud) while engineering for automated testing, Continuous Integration and Deployment as well as instrumenting telemetry to monitor and trouble-shoot the customer experience. We are Microsoft’s first commercial customer for new services and devices at scale. We partner closely with Microsoft product engineering teams to ensure a great solution is delivered that can help our customers around the world and serve as a showcase to industry.
This is a data-driven and fast paced environment where engineers are empowered to innovate and take ideas from conception to scale!
In this role, you will:
- Provide and execute on a data driven approach to software engineering through designing, coding, testing, debugging, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Develop complete designs considering performance and maintainability and test interfaces that solve classes of problems, enable integration across groups of components, improve reuse to satisfy customer and engineering requirements. Consider maintainability and reliability during design.
- Participate in On Call and Site Reliability rotations to support live site and drive engineered solutions to improve customer experiences.
- Lead the team in adopting relevant new technologies, tools, methods and processes.
- Provide critical thinking, technical innovation, and attention to detail while serving as a trusted advisor in the organization.
- Gain understanding of Microsoft businesses and collaborate with others to contribute to cohesive, end-to-end experiences for our users.
- Contribute to our new cloud based architecture leveraging technologies such as Apache Spark with Scala, Azure Event Hubs, SQL Azure, HD Insight and Hadoop
- Overall, 8+ years of software engineering experiences building and shipping large-scale, high performance, scalable systems and services.
- 5+ years of industry experience with Microsoft Server products, and Azure Platform technologies
- Strong BI, data warehouse, relational database development and performance tuning skills on large scale enterprise systems (7+ years).
- Development and test automation experience (5+ years)
- Big Data and Analytics platform: HDInsight (Hadoop, Spark, HBase).
- Experience in delivery thru agile practices.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Math, Engineering or related field.
- Practical knowledge of common storage options including JSON, Parquet and ORC formats.
- Working experience with Azure platform
PREFERRED, NOT REQUIRED:
- Experience in a DevOps culture supporting live site.
- Experience in modern BI technologies (NoSQL, Hadoop, HDInsight, Cosmos, MPP SQL, Spark, etc.)
- Experienced agile practitioner (certified scrum master, scrum developer or scrum professional)
- Previous experience with building on Azure or other Cloud solutions.
- Experience with any of the following testing practices: performance, security, privacy, accessibility.
- Experience with Continuous Delivery practices, TDD.
- Experience in Service Oriented Architectures (SOA) and REST.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.