Additional Location(s) or Information:
Job Category: Engineer - Software
Level of Experience: Experienced - Non Manager
Requisition #: R1023331
Senior Software Engineer - Central Software Group - IOS-XR BGP Routing
San Jose, CA
The Business Entity
Cisco IOS-NX software is specially designed software for DC network operating system that powers Cisco's cutting-edge routing/switching systems like the N9K, N3K and ACI/APIC systems in DC networks. The IOS-NX BGP group focusses on overlay solutions, end to end Application Engineered Routing, Application Centric Networking as well as InterCloud and IntraCloud Networks, specifically leveraging EVPN and Segment Routing Solutions.
Central Software Group is the place where highly talented and passionate Engineers, determined to change the way we work, live, play and learn, work on cutting-edge technologies like BGP EVPN VXLAN, and Segment Routing (including AERApplication Engineered Routing), which are an Industry 1st, and continues to innovate and contribute to standards bodies like IETF etc.
Our focus is on customer experience and end to end solutions, and we work hard and smart, while having fun along the way to network the world better.
The IOS-NX OS BGP Routing engineering team designs and develops Routing software for Cisco's Data Center (DC) routing and switching platforms. This is a unique opportunity to work on the routing layers of IOS NX software and it's ongoing evolution that powers multiple products addressing a large customer base covering traditional DC, Financials, Web Scale datacenter market segments.
Role & Responsibilities
• Be a part of the overall BGP Routing Team (the best in the industry) in Central Software Group of Cisco, contributing to Design, Development, Coding and Test of routing software modules, that enable critical solutions for the Service provider, and provide them a competitive edge.
• Develop automated tests in Python/C for developed software features to ensure high quality handoff to the Test team.
• Conduct and participate in peer code/design reviews.
• Deliver detailed functional and design specifications of the software.
• Work closely with the adjacent software teams in defining the programming interfaces into the various other software modules.
Minimum Qualifications & Desired Skills
• BS degree in CS/EE/CE or technical equivalent.
• 5+ years of work experience in embedded software development.
• Knowledge of Routing Technologies, BGP, OSPF, ISIS, MPLS protocols is a definite plus.
• Unicast/Multicast Forwarding experience would help too.
• Proficient in "C" and multithread programming, scripting languages (Tcl, Python, Perl) is a plus.
• Understands advanced architecture principles and design practices
• Creative problem solving skills and excellent troubleshooting/debugging skills
• Good understanding of concepts in operating system, Inter process communication, high availability etc.
• Experience in manageability frameworks such as Yang/snmp/xml is a plus
• Strong written and verbal communication
• Excellent teamwork and people skills
• Ability to manage multiple tasks and work towards long-term goals
• Flexibility and openness to change
• Self motivated and highly ambitious
• Familiarity with Unix/Linux. Experience using RTOS (ex: QNX, VxWorks)
• Understanding of networking fundamentals and protocols (ex: TCP/IP, Multicast)
The Internet of Everything is a phenomenon driving new opportunities for Cisco and it's transforming our customers' businesses worldwide. We are pioneers and have been since the early days of connectivity. Today, we are building teams that are expanding our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine creating unprecedented disruption. Your revolutionary ideas will impact everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with like-minded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.
@ciscojobs is #hiring
Job Type: Experienced
Opportunity Category: Internet of Everything
A little about us:
We are one, big, techie, employee tribe that changes the world while having fun.