What you’ll be doing...
The Senior Software Engineer for will be detail oriented, self-directed, self-motivated, with a strong capacity for working successfully and collaboratively with members across the organization. Someone who can bring innovative ideas and energy to a team while tackling complex challenges.
This team builds APIs, powered by non-trivial algorithms, which are consumed by our customer-facing apps and B2B partners. You will be designing, creating and maintaining components of our applications for trip routing, guidance, and vehicle traffic. The ideal candidate will possess an understanding of service oriented architecture, with skills in Scala, Java, C++, and Geographic Information Systems.
- Design, build and support the core pathfinding and guidance engines used by numerous B2C and B2B product teams
- Ensure that code adheres to defined standards and best practices for performance, speed, scalability, and quality
- Practice Agile development methods and exemplify core Agile values of transparency, collaboration, acceptance of change, and iterative development
- Routinely deliver working software solutions that meet user story acceptance criteria
- Mentor junior and mid-level engineers
- Facilitate technical conflict resolution with active listening and critical thinking
What we’re looking for...
Youll need to have
- A Bachelor's in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or equivalent work experience
- 4 years relevant experience required
Even better if you have
- Masters degree preferred
- Proficiency in Computer Science fundamentals object oriented design, data structures, services architecture, algorithms, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Scala, Java, and C++ skills
- Functional programming experience (in Scala or another functional language)
- Experience with pathfinding and graph algorithms desired
- Experience designing and building APIs and RESTful web services
- Commitment to code quality and testability required
- Experience working within an Agile software development framework (Scrum, Kanban, etc)
- Experience with modern build and deployment tools -- SBT, Maven, Gradle, Git, Jenkins, etc
- Experience with AWS cloud technologies preferred
MapQuest Valued Behaviors
- High energy with a positive attitude
- Eager and willingness to learn, creative, able to try new technologies
- Strong problem solving and analytical analysis skills
- Operate with high integrity and respect
- Enjoys contributing in a collaborative environment
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Verizon is one of the largest communication technology companies in the world.