WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THE POSITION?
The Hartford currently has an in-house opportunity for a Senior Staff Attorney - Tort and General Liability in the Massachusetts/New Hampshire area.
This may be remote position for the right fit candidate.
This position partners with our insureds and claim centers to deliver the best possible result in pending litigation.
The Senior Staff Attorney will:
Analyze complex legal and factual issues, conduct extensive, well-reasoned legal research, independently develop and present defense strategies on behalf of clients, as well as in the prosecution of subrogation actions on behalf of The Hartford.
Prepare complex pleadings, written discovery, depositions, motions and briefs in support of defense strategies without supervision because of level of experience and expertise.
Provide effective and timely communications, information, legal advice and other services to clients and claims on legal and factual issues.
Communicate with the court, witnesses, opposing counsel and co-counsel in a manner consistent with established office procedures. Responsible for the prompt, efficient and effective disposition of assigned cases. Independently prepares
and presents witnesses and evidence at trials, judicial and administrative hearings, arbitrations and alternative dispute resolutions. Research, draft, file and argue appellate briefs in reviewing courts on behalf of clients. Attend continuing legal
education seminars in order to maintain high level of professional expertise. Qualifications:
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- JD from accredited law school and license to practice in the states of Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont & Maine. Those with admission to 2 or more states will be considered for the position, with the understanding that they will apply for admission in additional states. ( This position is unique in that HIG is seeking a candidate who is very experienced and is licensed in MA, ME, NH & VT. We need the candidate to have at least 3 of these states with the understanding they will waive into the 4th.)
- Experienced litigation attorney.
- First chair jury trial experience required.
- Minimum 8 years law practice, preferably within the insurance defense industry dealing with tort and general liability matters.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU TELL ME?
The location of this position is flexible either in Boston or within the Northern New England states.
Behaviors at the Hartford
- Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
- Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
- Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
- Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression
** NO AGENCIES PLEASE **