The Hartford currently has an in-house remote work opportunity for a Staff Attorney - Workers' Compensation in San Diego, California to handle matters within that area. This individual will cover WC Boards in San Diego. Depending on level of experience this individual can be brought on as a Staff Attorney or Senior Staff Attorney. This position partners with our insureds and claim centers to deliver the best possible result in pending litigation against our insureds/the firm.
The Staff Attorney will: Analyze complex legal and factual issues, conduct extensive, well-reasoned legal research, independently develop and present defense strategies on behalf of clients. Prepare complex pleadings, written discovery, depositions, motions and briefs in support of defense strategies with minimal supervision depending on level of experience and expertise. Provide effective and timely communications and formal reports with relevant information, legal advice and other services to clients and claims on legal and factual issues. Communicate with the court, witnesses, opposing counsel and co-counsel in a manner consistent with established office procedures. Be responsible for the prompt, efficient and effective disposition of assigned cases. Independently prepares and presents witnesses and evidence at trials, judicial and administrative hearings, arbitrations and alternative dispute resolutions. Research, draft, file and argue appellate briefs in reviewing courts on behalf of clients. Attend continuing legal education seminars in order to maintain high level of professional expertise. Qualifications:
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
- JD from accredited law school and license to practice in the state of California.
- Experienced litigation attorney
- Trial experience
- Law practice within the insurance defense industry dealing with complex workers' compensation matters.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU TELL ME?
- The location of this remote position is flexible within the San Diego County, California area. As this is a remote position,
computer automation skills are a must. The ideal candidate will have proficiency with Microsoft Office products and familiarity with Lexis Nexis, and working within a document management system.
Behaviors at the Hartford
- Deliver Outcomes - Demonstrate a bias for speed and execution that serves our shareholders and customers.
- Operate as a Team Player - Work together to drive solutions for the good of The Hartford.
- Build Strong Partnerships - Demonstrate integrity and build trust with others.
- Strive for Excellence - Motivate yourself and others to achieve high standards and continuously improve.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression
** NO AGENCIES PLEASE **