Senior Staff Capacity Planning Systems Engineer
Posted: April 15, 2017
Reference ID: 112714062
Common Purpose, Uncommon Opportunity. Everyone at Visa works with one goal in mind - making sure that Visa is the best way to pay and be paid, for everyone everywhere. This is our global vision and the common purpose that unites the entire Visa team. As a global payments technology company, tech is at the heart of what we do: Our VisaNet network processes over 13,000 transactions per second for people and businesses around the world, enabling them to use digital currency instead of cash and checks. We are also global advocates for financial inclusion, working with partners around the world to help those who lack access to financial services join the global economy. Visa's sponsorships, including the Olympics and FIFA™ World Cup, celebrate teamwork, diversity, and excellence throughout the world. If you have a passion to make a difference in the lives of people around the world, Visa offers an uncommon opportunity to build a strong, thriving career. Visa is fueled by our team of talented employees who continuously raise the bar on delivering the convenience and security of digital currency to people all over the world. Join our team and find out how Visa is everywhere you want to be.
The Capacity Planning group is responsible for planning and driving the implementation of x86, UNIX and Tandem compute and storage hardware at Visa worldwide.
This role is an experienced capacity planner responsible for ensuring that adequate infrastructure is planned and implemented to meet the needs of a growing and transforming Visa IT environment.
• Develop, maintain, and present capacity plans for dedicated and virtual x86 and UNIX infrastructure and/or Tandem systems, employing Dell, HP and IBM servers and ESX, Hyper-V and KVM hypervisors. Plans will serve quarterly purchase needs as well as annual financial planning.
• Create capacity models using history and known future demand that will forecast future infrastructure needs and plan for what-if scenarios such as failover at various levels. Models will consider I/O capacities as well as memory and compute.
• Engage with project teams and the Demand team on major initiatives to understand traffic volumes, work flows and hardware requirements to plan for adequate capacity.
• Use and advice in configuring BMC BCO, VmWareVROPS, BMC PA, VmWare VCenter, SAS BI, Cloud Optimizer, Splunk and SCOM and other capacity planning tools for server capacity planning analysis and evaluation.
• Ensure adequate capacity for all resources is maintained at the virtualized level as well as the physical level. Provide virtualized capacity planning visibility for multiple hypervisors such as VMware, Hyper-V, and KVM.
• Coordinate effectively with the Storage Capacity Planning staff and with other Engineering staff to ensure adherence to standards and guidelines.
• Provide expert advice for assisting in the choice of server vendors and server configurations as well as for tool evaluation and purchase.
• Act as a 3rd level Technical support for Infrastructure related challenges.
• Requires a minimum of 8-10 years progressively responsible experience
• Degree in Computer Science and at least 5 years industry experience in Open Systems Capacity Planning and Server Administration with a good background in managing and planning servers in both dedicated and virtualized environments.
• Good general experience in Capacity Planning, and the metrics underlying the discipline are necessary, as are strong analytical skills as evidenced by college level mathematics training and on-the-job use of analytical mathematics.
• Solid knowledge of the concepts of x86 virtualization are necessary for VmWare and optional for Hyper-V and KVM.
• Knowledge of tools for server capacity planning analysis and evaluation such as BMC BCO, VmWare VROPS, BMC PA, VmWare VCenter, SAS BI, Cloud Optimizer, Splunk, and SCOM
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.