Merck & Co., Inc., known as Merck in the US and Canada and MSD across the rest of the world, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
The Senior Statistical Programmer, Observational Research and Real World Evidence will lead and provide support to the statistical programming activities for the Merck Center for Observational and Real World Evidence (CORE), specifically, statistical programming support for comparative effectiveness research, post-authorization safety studies, and clinical trial design planning.
- Manipulate large observational and electronic healthcare databases utilizing knowledge of SAS programming tools and techniques to discover disease prevalence, incidence and risk factors, describe drug utilization patterns and disease progression, summarize disease outcomes, support market research, and answer clinical development questions.
- Work with team to gather and interpret user requirements from CORE epidemiologists and outcomes research scientists; retrieve the required data from electronic healthcare databases; and develop disease cohorts, analytical datasets, tables and figures and perform validation activities following departmental standard operating procedures.
- Evaluate the data integrity of internally licensed electronic healthcare databases and collaborate with project team members and stakeholders to create standardized macros across different electronic healthcare databases, including outcome and exposure definition and standard data summaries.
- Act as a key collaborator with CORE scientists to ensure project plans are executed efficiently with timely and high quality deliverables and that projects are in compliance with departmental SOPs and good programming practices.
- Master's Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Health Science or Applied Mathematics is required
- One (1) year of experience in statistical programming of healthcare databases.
- Applicant must have experience in SAS such as: SAS/MACRO, SAS/SQL, SAS/GRAPH.
- Thorough knowledge of programming techniques (SAS) including data steps and procedures, analytical ability, sound professional judgment and familiarity with outcomes research or epidemiology required
- Applicant must have knowledge in UNIX operating system and Oracle SQL.
- Ability to manipulate large databases, including complex data preprocessing, filtering, and manipulation using SAS programming, including developing programming algorithms as needed to process standard and non-standard data in a variety of formats
- Applicant must have experience with sample strategies for large databases and implementing various observational methods and leading SAS programming projects; possess understanding of observational research or statistical terminology and concepts; and have the ability to comprehend data analysis plans which describe observational research and statistical methodology to be programmed.
- Must be able to work 40 hours per week 9:00a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States.
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.