Blizzard Entertainment's global information systems team is looking for an experienced and talented Systems Engineer to aid in supporting Blizzard's application environment. The ideal candidate is proficient in the troubleshooting, installation, configuration, operation, and maintenance of various code repository, middleware infrastructure and enterprise application in a large enterprise environment and must have experience in related infrastructure including virtualization environments, enterprise storage, and networking.
This individual will also serve as a key resource on projects, working directly with project managers to implement solutions and complete tasks associated with the Application Support team. He/She will also perform day to day operational duties and be an escalation point for other support teams when needed.
This role requires interaction with other Blizzard support and development teams. Therefore strong communication and interpersonal skills are required as well as a desire for delivering great customer service. Responsibilities
- Primary support and service provider for Corporate Application, code repository, and build systems.
- Develop and maintain Application middleware stacks such as IIS, Apache, and Tomcat
- Develop and maintain Puppet code to help with automation of deployment and maintenance of all systems under the purview of the Application Support team.
- Provide technical support per requests from various customers and teams. Support requests can come in the form of phone calls, emails, IMs and Remedy incident tickets.
- Investigate and troubleshoot issues to identify root cause to implement recurrence prevention plans.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted customers via crisis management.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis. Upgrade administrative tools and utilities as needed. Configure/add new services as necessary.
- Develop and maintain installation, design and configuration procedures and documentation.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated, approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform performance reporting to support capacity planning and hardware lifecycle planning.
- Participate in an on-call rotation, providing 24/7 support for all responsible systems during such a rotation.
- Provide professional and responsive communication to the customer, project management, and management inquiries via phone, email, IM, and Remedy tickets.
- Provide guidance to customers and team members on Systems related technologies in the form of consultations, architecture and design proposals and reviews.
- Follow existing incident, problem, release, crisis and change management processes as well as provide feedback to improve said processes.
- A minimum of 5 years' experience with enterprise systems engineering
- Proficient with Linux OS including hangs on experience with system installation / configuration, file concepts, resource monitoring, package management, and process control /management
- Proficient with Windows Server 2008 and 2012 including hands-on experience with system installation / configuration, file system concepts, resource monitoring, user administration, package management, and process control/management
- Deep understanding of Application monitoring and metrics
- Deep understanding of Windows/Linux security best practices
- Expert knowledge with Puppet infrastructure and the ability to write complex Puppet Code
- Knowledge of networking principles and applications/technologies (e.g., TCP / UDP protocols, iSCSI, DNS, DHCP, GPO services)
- Knowledge of virtualization technologies such as VMWare, Hyper-V
- Knowledge of SAN and NAS principles, experience deploying and maintaining various storage solutions
- Knowledge of PowerShell scripting, using scripting to help automate administrative tasks to improve overall team efficiency.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly motivated and self-driven, capable of working with little instruction to resolve demanding tasks, as well as work with internal teams
- Experience working in an enterprise datacenter environment
- Able (and willing) to lift a minimum of 70 lbs.
Required Application Materials
- A degree in computer science or a related field
- Experience with media asset management (MAM) and / or digital asset management (DAM)
- Experience Containers technology such has Docker
- Experience with AWS
- Experience with installation, configuring and maintaining Terraform
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code
- Experience with monitoring tools such as Solarwinds, Nagios or equivalent
- Certification in Microsoft Technologies (MCSE), in particular, Server Infrastructure
- Understanding of ITIL framework and processes
- A passion for video games
- Cover Letter (optional)