Senior Systems Engineer (DevOps) - Oracle Public Cloud, Infrastructure-as-a-Service Cloud Infrastructure Group (Seattle, WA)
Oracle's Cloud Infrastructure Group is building new Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) technologies that operate at high scale in a broadly distributed multi-tenant cloud environment. Our customers run their businesses on our cloud, and our mission is to provide them with best in class compute, storage, networking, database, and security.
We are looking for a Senior Systems Engineer with DevOps experience to join the Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) team. Our CI/CD system must empower engineers to quickly build, deploy and test application code changes through a release pipeline that spans various test environments to production. In this role, you will need to combine software development practices with networking and systems engineering expertise to help build and run our CI/CD system. You will need to analyze/optimize the physical & virtual resources required to run our CI/CD systems, ensuring high availability with proper redundancy and monitoring. You will troubleshoot and resolve diverse issues that may span the hardware, operating system, network and application stack. You will use your software development skills to build tools and automate processes that enable us to more efficiently deploy, configure, maintain and monitor our systems, as well as take on endeavors to help build new features needed in the CI/CD space. Through this work, you will play a key role in ensuring the availability, reliability and operational efficiency of the CI/CD system that enables our organization's agile development and release process.
As an ideal candidate, you will have a knowledge base that is broad (and not necessarily uniformly deep) and can demonstrate an ability to apply creative technical solutions in a complex and ever-evolving environment. In addition, you are passionate about improving operational efficiency and developing technical breadth across the infrastructure and tools used to build, test and deliver our IaaS solution. You are results driven and thrive in an environment that is agile, collaborative and in start-up mode, even when faced with ambiguity. You are excited to utilize and grow your skillsets on a team that provides a huge impact to improving the entire organization's engineering velocity and quality.
These are exciting times in our space - we are growing fast, still at an early stage, and working on ambitious new initiatives. If you are passionate about taking ownership of big technical challenges and producing software solutions that have broad, significant impacts - come join our team!
- BS in Computer Science, Information Technology or related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- 5 years experience in a system admin, devops or systems engineering role
- Excellent coding skills in at least one high level scripting language, preferably Python
- Excellent system administration skills in a Linux based environment
- Hands-on experience automating configuration management using Infrastructure as Code tools like Puppet, Chef or similar
- Experience with container based development (e.g. Docker, RKT )
- Skilled in analyzing, measuring and optimizing systems for scalability and performance
- DevOps experience - integrating software engineering, system engineering, network engineering and operations engineering practices
- Understanding of software development methodologies and practices, including agile development, continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Understanding of distributed systems, and service-oriented architectures
- Ability to collaborate with both internal and external groups to ensure systems are effectively integrated, configured, managed and supported in production
- Ability to quickly learn new technology and new products
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex information in a clear, concise manner to all audiences
- LOCATION: Seattle, WA USA local candidates strongly preferred.
Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will take an active role in the definition and evolution of standard practices and procedures. You will be responsible for defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, designing and debugging of software applications or operating systems.
Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 7 years of software engineering or related experience.Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Oracle is shifting the complexity from IT, moving it out of the enterprise by engineering hardware and software to work together—in the cloud.