In January 2016, MetLife announced a plan to pursue the separation of a substantial portion of its U.S. Retail segment. Once separated, the new business will be called Brighthouse Financial.
Brighthouse Financial will serve customers the way they want, need and deserve. It will focus on eliminating the complexity, confusion and cost that can get in the way of many Americans who are seeking financial security. We will bring products to the market that add value to our customers' lives, and will be guided by a common set of values that focus on the customer and drive accountability.
Brighthouse Financial is seeking high-performing team members who are passionate about the company's mission. We are laser-focused on adding value to our customers and minimizing complexity in every decision and action. We are building high performing teams who set the bar high and hold each other accountable.
As a member of a hi-performing collaborative tax team this tax professional is responsible for all aspects of the tax function. Responsibilities include preparing Brighthouse Financials federal and state income tax returns and indirect tax returns including federal income tax returns, state income and franchise tax returns and Secretary of State annual reports for life and non-life entities. The indirect tax return responsibilities include preparing premium tax, retaliatory and municipal tax, sales and use tax, payroll and product withholding tax, and property tax returns and accruals.
This tax professional will also be responsible for preparing taxable income calculations, pro forma returns, sub-consolidations, and consolidated returns. Responsibilities will also include preparing Brighthouse Financials quarterly income tax estimates and year-end extension calculations and filings, interim and annual tax provision computations (including ASC 740-270, formerly FIN 18) and interim and annual tax projections. This tax professional will also be responsible for providing support and assistance to the tax controversy team for the federal and state income tax portion of external/internal audits. This tax professional will also be responsible for performing tax research and assisting with external and internal audits, as needed. Job Location
United States : Florida : Tampa Alternate Job Location
United States : North Carolina : Charlotte Job Description
- Prepare Brighthouse Financials indirect tax returns including premium, retaliatory and municipal tax, sales and use tax, payroll and product withholding tax, and personal property tax filings and payments
- Prepare reconciliations of Schedule T of the Annual Statement to the general ledger
- Calculate qualified vs. non-qualified dividends and premiums.
- Coordinate with third party indirect tax service providers to ensure the appropriate withholding and timely deposit of payroll and product taxes.
- Prepare Brighthouse Financials federal and state income tax returns including US federal income tax for life and non-life entities, state income and franchise tax for life and non-life entities
- Prepare consolidated schedules and sub-consolidations for federal income tax return filings as well as taxable income calculations and separate pro forma returns for life and non-life entities
- Prepare quarterly estimated payment calculations, year-end extension payment calculations, and related payment vouchers for federal and state income and franchise tax filings
- Prepare state taxable income calculations and separate pro forma returns for life and non-life entities
- Prepare state consolidated and unitary income tax calculations and returns
- Prepare state franchise tax filings and other Secretary of State annual reports
- Prepare interim and annual US GAAP and Statutory income tax provisions and projections prepared in accordance with ASC 740 and SSAP 101 including analysis of the effective tax rate (ETR) and estimated annual effective tax rate (EAETR), current and deferred tax liability, tax attribute carryforward schedules, deferred tax rollforwards and tax basis proofs, ASC 740-10 (previously FIN 48) reserve analysis, and return to provision reconciliations
- Prepare US GAAP and Statutory interim and annual current and deferred tax journal entries
- Prepare US GAAP current tax payable proof
- Prepare tax disclosures in US GAAP and Statutory financial statements, including Management's Discussion and Analysis, income tax footnote, ETR schedule, tax rate discussion, analysis of forward looking tax-related risks, etc.
- Prepare documentation to support SOX requirements for interim and annual reporting
- Prepare Brighthouse Financials indirect tax accounting including interim and annual accruals
- Maintain income and indirect tax compliance and reporting calendars
- Assist with income and indirect tax portions of external/internal audits
- Minimum 3-5 years of income and indirect tax accounting and compliance experience
- Technical experience with consolidated tax return regulations as well as Life/Non-Life group issues
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong accounting and analytical skills
- Ability to manage multiple complex tasks towards completion at the same time
- Masters in Tax/Accounting
- Working proficiency with tax software (e.g. CorpTax, OneSource, TriTech Premium Pro, other)
- Technical experience with life insurance tax and tax accounting (ASC 740, SSAP 101)
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance
Tax Number of Openings
MetLife is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to attracting, retaining, and maximizing the performance of a diverse and inclusive workforce. It is MetLife's policy to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, national origin, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
MetLife maintains a drug-free workplace. Note to Mobile Users: If viewing on a mobile device and would like to apply, please email the job to yourself and complete the application from a desktop/laptop. Note to Desktop/Laptop Users: For immediate consideration, click Apply Now button below. You will be directed to complete an on-line profile which takes 10 - 15 minutes to complete. Upon completion, you will receive an automated confirmation email verifying you have successfully applied to the job. Internal Use Only: 11M
MetLife offers life insurance, disability income insurance, car insurance, employee benefits and more.