The overall responsibilities of The Coca-Cola Company Senior State Tax Counsel position are outlined in the following summary. As referenced below, "state taxes" primarily relate to state and local income and franchise taxes, sales taxes, gross receipts taxes, beverage taxes, transfer taxes, and similar taxes. Involvement in property taxes mainly focusses on contract review and negotiations related to incentives and M&A work. Responsibilities also include other taxes and areas specifically identified below. KEY RESPONSIBILITES Planning
State Tax Controversy
- Monitoring and developing overall state tax strategies and positions in light of the Company's current and prospective U.S. business, and its federal and international tax positions.
- Ensuring that the Company is in compliance with state tax laws.
- Developing strategies for creating state tax efficiencies in structuring transactions.
- Participating in the implementation stage of the planning strategies, including assistance with creating legal entities, drafting/reviewing tax provisions and other work necessary to ensure the strategies are followed.
- Pursuing state tax efficiencies, tax credits and incentives, as identified through work with the business units and the internal tax incentives team.
- Reviewing and approving requests for authorization (RFAs) of capital projects and other activities in order to identify additional tax opportunities and issues.
- Working with tax jurisdictions on negotiating tax and other incentives.
- Reviewing new laws, regulations, cases and rulings to determine the impact on the Company and coordinating the implementation of necessary changes.
- Reviewing the Company's U.S. corporate structure and ensuring that existing entities are required. This includes coordinating the work for entity eliminations through corporate mergers and dissolutions, as follows: due diligence reviews, creating RFAs, working with the Corporate Secretary's office and financial reporting group, eliminating tax and other registrations, and the overall follow-up to ensure that eliminations are complete.
- Reviewing, drafting, and negotiating state tax provisions for procurement contracts.
- Addressing day-to-day state tax questions on transactions and the ordinary business transactions.
- Developing state tax positions during the compliance season and reviewing large tax returns.
- Participating in state tax organizations and networking with colleagues in Fortune 1000 company on insights relevant to the Company.
- For the new local sugar beverage taxes, understanding the laws and regulations as well as coordinating with multiple groups on implementation and compliance.
- Providing counsel to the audit team on legal and factual issues which arise during the audit.
- Handling information document requests from tax jurisdictions on audit.
- Drafting position papers and protests during the audit and appeal stages.
- Participating in hearings and conferences at the administrative level and negotiating settlements.
- Assisting outside counsel on all aspects of litigation.
- Identifying proposed legislation which impacts the Company and coordinating the tax cost or benefit of this legislation.
- Drafting position papers to address Company concerns.
- Working with the Company government relations teams, outside lobbyists, and coalitions on proposed legislation.
- Participating in legislative hearings as necessary to support the Company's position.
- Reviewing and commenting on proposed regulations, and participating in meetings and hearings as necessary.
- Federal research and development tax credit: Overall coordination of the credit studies and assisting with the federal tax audit.
- The Coca-Cola Foundation: Providing tax counsel to the Foundation as well as reviewing all Foundation grants (typically over 200 grants per year).
- Aircraft fleet tax counsel: Addressing tax issues arising from the purchase and sale of fleet assets, including like-kind exchange matters and sales taxes.
- Minimum of ten years' experience in state tax practice.
- J.D. degree
- Understanding of state tax principles.
- Negotiating abilities for resolving tax conflicts.
- Tax research proficiency.
- Writing and verbal skills for clear communications and influencing.
- Self-motivation and ability to identify tax issues and opportunities.
- Creative thinking to achieve viable solutions.
- Drive Innovation: Generate new or unique solutions and embrace new ideas that help sustain our business (encompassing everything from continuous improvement to new product and package innovation).
- Collaborate with System, Customers, and other Stakeholders: Develop and leverage relationships with stakeholders to appropriately stretch and impact the System (Company and Bottler).
- Act like an Owner: Deliver results, creating value for our brands, our System, our customers and key stakeholders.
- Inspire Others: Inspire people to deliver our mission and 2020 Vision, demonstrate passion for the business and give people a reason to believe anything is possible.
- Develop Self and Others: Develop self and support others' development to achieve full potential.
Honesty and integrity have always been cornerstone values of The Coca-Cola Company. Our passion for people of integrity mirrors our spirited drive for total quality in our brands. These and other elements allow the company to sustain strategic practices and drive business performance. The Personnel Integrity Assurance Program is another step toward making The Coca-Cola Company the premier workplace. This process includes a pre-employment background investigation that applies to all applicants employees and contractors of the company. The scope of this inquiry may cover such elements as education employment history a criminal history check reference checks and a pre-employment drug screen. Designated countries or sensitive positions within the company may have more stringent standards.
At The Coca-Cola Company you can cultivate your career in a challenging and dynamic environment. We are the largest manufacturer and distributor of nonalcoholic drinks in the world-selling more than 1 billion drinks a day. Unlock your full potential with a future-focused company that is known and respected throughout the world.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Back to top
A little about us:
Coca-Cola’s success would not be possible without the world’s best employees. We invite you to challenge yourself, join us and prosper.