Since 1918, it has been TIAA’s mission to serve, our ability to perform and the values we embrace that make us a different kind of financial services organization. We’re dedicated to serving the financial needs of those in the academic, medical, cultural, governmental and research fields, and committed to helping make lifetime financial well-being possible for them.
By building a culture that allows all employees to contribute their unique talents and skills, we’re able to provide our customers with fresh ideas and distinct perspectives to help them achieve their goals. We believe a diverse and inclusive workforce is one of our greatest strengths and a key measure of our success*.
For more information about TIAA, visit our website.
TIAA’s Corporate Tax department is responsible for compliance with worldwide tax laws, developing and implementing tax efficiencies for the enterprise, and its respective part of financial statement reporting.
Corporate Tax is seeking a Senior Tax Manager in the Charlotte, NC or New York City, NY office to oversee and to continue developing best practices associated with the federal and state tax aspects of TIAA’s third party real estate funds.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
• Work closely with finance partners, outside tax return preparers, and legal to ensure all tax-related deliverables are identified, completed, and filed in a timely fashion.
• Work closely with asset managers to ensure REIT qualifications are understood and maintained
• Work closely with investors’ tax teams to ensure deliverables are provided timely & in-line with expectations.
• Review all federal, state, and international tax returns and work-papers to ensure their accurate completion. This will include but is not limited to extensions, §1442 & 1446 withholding payments, Form 1065, Schedule K-1, and 1120-REIT.
• Review all REIT testing on a quarterly and annual basis.
• Review annual E&P and return of capital calculations for distribution to shareholders.
• Assist with managing and minimizing risks inherent with being a REIT.
• Ensure Taxable REIT Subsidiaries are properly supported.
• Research tax issues to ensure structures and positions are adequately documented.
• Evaluate the current tax compliance operating model related to third party funds with a desire to move to a more efficient co-sourcing model.
• Participate in supporting the Company’s tax positions in tax examinations.
• Review the company’s non-real estate related private equity portfolios to ensure proper tax reporting and identify planning opportunities.
• Monitor REIT industry issues, and analyzes legislative proposals impacting the REIT industry.
• Attracting and developing staff.
• BA/BS in accounting or related field is required
• CPA is required
• Master’s degree in Taxation is a plus
• Minimum of eight years of tax experience, primarily dealing with partnerships & and REITs
• Understanding of private equity and real estate fund structures, including those related to tax-exempt or foreign investors.
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it’s our commitment. Read more about the Equal Employment Opportunity Law.
If you need assistance applying due to being visually or hearing impaired, please email Careers Help.
This organization is an equal employment opportunity (EEO) employer, dedicated to maintaining a work environment free of bias, harassment, discrimination and retaliation. As an EEO employer, this organization expressly prohibits discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of race, creed, ethnicity, color, age, religion, sex, sex stereotype, pregnancy (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions where applicable), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, marital status, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, requesting a reasonable accommodation based on mental or physical disability, medical condition (as defined by applicable law), genetic history and information, citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance or regulation (collectively referred to here as “protected characteristics”).
*©2016 Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America (TIAA), 730 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017
Not ready to apply? Join our Talent Network.