Senior User Experience Researcher
We want to change the way people engage with their money, their bank, and their financial lives. It’s audacious work at a massive scale. Here you’ll find designers, hackers, rockers, artists, entrepreneurs, and data scientists. As a team, we come to work every day looking to build digital experiences that are authentic and bold.
Capital One has recently created a user research program called USERLabs, based in Vienna, VA. We are expanding the USERLabs methodology to multiple locations, including Plano, TX. Our goal is to fully engage our customers in order to radically change how they interact with their money.
We are looking for a Senior User Experience Researcher to assist in the creation, moderation and analysis of user research for design teams in the financial services arm of our digital organization.
The User Experience Researcher’s responsibilities include assistance in creating experiential research designs, collection of data for analysis, coding video for analysis, moderating empathy sessions, and running remote un-moderated studies. Due to the nature of financial services, the research work will likely involve a heavy amount of quantitative research and analysis skills. You will work to improve the usability, usefulness, and desirability of our tools in collaboration with Designers, Design Strategists, Design Content Specialists, Product Managers, Software Developers, and other Stakeholders.
- Conduct empathy interviews, quantitative and qualitative user testing and analysis adhering to an overall research methodology created by USERLabs leadership
- Keep an overview of all relevant content necessary for usability tasks and organize a library of user research templates and patterns for use by the group and others
- Help the team to standardize its approach to empathy interviews, benchmark analysis, and usability testing and facilitate communication with design and product teams
- Utilize user observations to assist with the creation of requirements, user personas, user stories and use cases.
- Conduct usability testing and analysis of results
- Conduct user research (empathy interviews, ethnographies and/or contextual inquiries) to develop user personas.
- Actively monitor and analyze research, data, and trends from internal sources, academic research, and industry published reports to inform and improve our research methods
- Effectively and intelligently influence the iteration of designs by pinpointing key data points from testing, reviews, etc.
- Present and communicate research and analysis clearly and effectively across various organizations in any format required. Able to sell, support, explain, and simply present usability approach and research to various audience types from sophisticated design experts to non-designers
- Leverage analytics tools and techniques to measure success, present opportunities, and support decision-making and prioritization
- Maintain Usability templates and guidelines, best practices, research documentation and raw data that facilitate a growing research team's work
- Ability to present complex qualitative and quantitative data to diverse audiences in a understandable format
- Excellent problem-solving skills with ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems and recommend solutions
- Basic knowledge and understanding of Design Thinking and Lean Startup
- Experience with agile usability and agile methodologies a plus
- Bachelor’s degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of usability testing and user experience research within a lab environment
- Master’s degree
- 6 years of usability testing and user experience research within a lab environment
- 4 years of experience with Human Computer Interaction
- 4 years of experience with Human Factors
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.