Senior User Interface Designer
Company: General Electric
Location: Waukesha, Wisconsin
Posted: December 17, 2017
Reference ID: 3041125
GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www.ge.com/sites/default/files/15-000845%20EEO%20combined.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
The Senior User Interface Designer works with global, cross-functional product development teams to design software interfaces by applying deep domain expertise in visual and interaction design techniques based on user needs derived through formal research. This includes deep understanding of how end to end user experiences are created where integration of HW/SW design and consistency are paramount.
• Proactively understanding the unmet needs of customers and end users by participating in formal research activities across the product lifecycle.
• Applying user research toward creating intuitive, functional, and visually appealing user interfaces. Representative deliverables include workflows, wireframe designs, and interactive prototypes.
• Creating and executing design principles to ensure cohesiveness of UI workflow and visual aesthetic across the portfolio.
• Collaborating with software engineering teams to create and execute platform-level architecture strategies and software development toolkits that enable implementation of established design principles.
• Translating concepts and prototypes into formal design requirements and specifications documents.
• Serving as a thought leader and consulting resource for visual and interaction design techniques, mentoring other designers where possible.
• Defining project plans and managing ongoing execution of projects. Representative deliverables include project schedules, resource allocation, and budgets. Projects will incorporate a mix of internal staff and external consultants.
• Bachelor's degree in Fine Arts, Computer Science or related field with a concentration in Human-Computer Interaction, Multimedia Design, Computer Graphics, or closely-related field of study.
• Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience as a software user interface designer or related design role.
• Track record of successfully conceptualizing and executing software projects through a comprehensive user-centered design process that includes application of formative and summative user research data, prototyping, and generation of design requirements.
• Demonstrated ability to multitask, manage competing priorities, and work within a structured process.
• Strong communications (written and verbal), negotiation, and problem solving skills.
• Strong level of self-motivation and ability to work independently.
• Ability to travel domestically and internationally including overnight stays.
• Expert knowledge of UI standards and contemporary UI/UX tools and methods.
• Expert in the use of prototyping and visual asset generation tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, Balsamiq Mockups, Microsoft Visio, SVG, and coding in Flash/ActionScript, HTML/CSS, Ajax/DHTML, Java, or Visual Basic.
U.S. (Country) Specific Qualifications:
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States full-time
• Must be willing to relocate to our Waukesha, WI facility and work full-time
• Must submit application for employment through gecareers.com (or COS if internal) to be considered
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Must be willing to take a drug test as part of the selection process
• Must be willing to submit to a background investigation, including for example, verification of your past employment, criminal history, and educational background
• Track record of generating intellectual property.
• Experience working within the consumer electronics and healthcare/medical devices sectors.
• Familiarity with ISO, FDA and other regulatory standards.
• Experience working within global, cross-functional teams.
• Track record of developing and executing user experience strategies and processes.
• Portfolio demonstrating successful examples of conceptual designs, prototypes, and final visual assets used in commercialized products.
Locations: United States; Wisconsin; Waukesha
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer at http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditional upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.