Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of an individual like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you'll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Merck is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company - one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Join a Global Application Development team to help us build beautiful digital solutions which solve important problems. Working within our Application Development Team, the selected candidate will work collaboratively with web development engineering teams, UX/Design teams, and end users. The candidate will create detailed architectures and designs and then implement those designs with high quality code. The candidate will create responsive web applications which work on any browser/device, and run on scalable cloud platforms using modern development techniques.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Developing responsive web solutions serving Merck business needs
- Creating high quality technical assets which will be reused by other web development efforts at Merck
- Documenting architectures and developing strategic approaches to implement scalable solutions from conceptual UX designs
- Instilling an automated DevOps approach to build, deploy and support projects using modern tools such as Github, AWS, Rails and Chef
- Evaluating new libraries, frameworks and development standards to determine if they are a good fit for Merck
- Providing solutions with long-term maintainability and limited technical debt
- Driving test driven development approaches
- Applying knowledge of cloud, APIs and browser feature support to design cross browser/device compatible solutions
- Developing deep understanding of Merck's existing technology platforms and their interfaces as required by project work
- Ensuring adherence to development standards and facilitating the sharing of best practices across development teams and support organizations
- Keeping abreast of new technologies, methodologies, industry practices and standards
The ideal candidate would also be familiar with DevOps, Continuous Integration, Infrastructure Engineering techniques, and cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services (AWS). The ideal candidate is a Full Stack developer with expertise in a framework such as Ruby on Rails who can build end to end applications while also engineering the cloud infrastructure to run them.
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering competitive compensation and benefits. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. Qualifications:
Education Minimum Requirement:
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or related Engineering field
- Master's degree preferred
Required Experience and Skills:
- 5 or more years of experience developing for the web and for mobile devices
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or similar server-side framework (such as Django)
- Experience in implementing responsive web applications on the Amazon cloud
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a broader team
- Able to effectively communicate to all levels of the business
- Expertise with modern and emerging web standards and technologies
- Passion for agile, test-driven development, continuous integration, and automated testing
- Strong technical skills across the entire development stack
- Experience using Agile techniques including Scrum
- Excellent object-oriented and test-driven development skills
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Experience with client-side framework
- Ability to advocate for change and innovation even when risks are involved
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Ability to work with geographically disparate teams
Our employees are the key to our company's success. We demonstrate our commitment to our employees by offering a competitive and valuable rewards program. Our Company's benefits are designed to support the wide range of goals, needs and lifestyles of our employees, and many of the people that matter the most in their lives. If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit:
EEOC GINA Supplement