Service Engineer 2
Core Services Engineering builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates.
We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
Microsoft Core Service Engineering is for those engineering professionals and business technology professionals who want to be strategic partners to the business and be the first place to create innovative solutions using all of Microsoft’s products and services. Microsoft Core Service Engineering provides career growth opportunities, a rewarding and flexible work environment so you can better integrate professional and personal life. Unlike other IT organizations, Microsoft Core Service Engineering employees make global impact on thousands of customers and thousands of employees who use Microsoft software and services.
Are you passionate about the customer and love to solve challenging problems with a team of other brilliant engineers?
Microsoft is driving toward a cloud first and mobile first world. Microsoft Core Service Engineering is at the forefront of creating innovative solutions aligning to this strategy on a global scale for Microsoft’s customers, partners, and our employees. We have an exciting opportunity for a Service Engineer who is passionate about Live Site health, reliability and design.
We are looking for a Service Engineer who is ready to be a part of a team that moves fast, leverages continuous delivery practices, and is centered at the customer experience. This position requires strong collaboration and teamwork across team and organizational boundaries, playing a vital role in engineering services that delight the customer.
Your ability to be the customer advocate, focus on service first, and part of a team that tears down silos to deliver the best customer experience will be critical to your success, along with the teams.
The ideal candidate will have experience in a team environment, experience running and designing enterprise scale services and platforms, technical depth in cloud platforms, agile development practices, and experience in designing & tuning telemetry. In addition, this position requires an individual who can demonstrate the ability to ensure highly resilient and scalable service designs through partnership with other members of the service team.
- Ability to read, write, configure code, and design for end-to-end service telemetry, alerting and self-healing capabilities on point solutions
- Experience analyzing real-time and trending service behavior through telemetry
- Experience with resilience modeling (failure mode analysis) on point solutions and platforms and ability to simulate service outages for point solutions (automated) and platforms (manually)
- Experience leading software engineering team members in translating customer and technical requirements into service architecture to meet Quality of Service Expectations
- Ability to lead service teams through Live Site Reviews and corrective action plans
- Experience leading and representing the Service in backlog discussions & standups to establish appropriate prioritization of Live Site requirements
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or other technical discipline.
- 3+ years of experience with building on Microsoft Azure or other Cloud solutions
- 4+ years of demonstrated expertise in SOA, virtualization and cloud concepts
- 5+ years of experience in at least one of the following:
o RESTful Services / Microservices
o MySQL/SQL Server/SQL Azure/NOSQL
o Windows Server/Azure/AWS
- Minimum 6 years of Experience in automation, specifically related to deployment, recovery, or other manual processes.
PREFERRED, NOT REQUIRED:
- Experience using telemetry to understand throughput, limitations and constraints in a service
- Experience in defining cost per transaction or per user, based on service configuration
- Experience identifying services appropriate for hosting on PaaS and IaaS offerings, as well as migration to internal or external SaaS providers
- Specialized knowledge of software & network components such as CDNs
- Experience in Infrastructure and Configuration as code, as well as service auto-scale capabilities
- Outstanding problem-solving skills and passion to solve hard problems as part of a team
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, marital status, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or any other protected status.