Service Engineer 2
Core Services Engineering builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates.
We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
Do you have passion to run and build world class software, using cutting-edge Microsoft technology and modern BI best practices to solve complex problems? Do you have passion about enabling a devOps culture and removing the boundaries between software and service engineering? Corporate Functions Engineering is looking for a Service Engineer seeking these challenges. The primary role of the Service Engineer will be to ensure operational efficiency for our Revenue Reporting systems. You will work very closely with stakeholders, product owners, software engineering, and support to ensure our systems delight our users.
To do this you will:
- Build solutions and help create tools to automate issue detection and diagnosis to enable customers support to self-resolve issues.
- Identify emerging trends or re-occurring escalation scenarios and drive engineering opportunities to mitigate and/or eliminate from the workflow.
- Deliver across a range of potential work item categories; such as self-healing mechanisms, self-serve, automation, and/or increasing the resiliency capability of our systems. Beyond extensive technical focus, this role requires the ability to frame and communicate issues and recommendations clearly and concisely, show exceptional attention to detail, code solutions in a DEVOPS capacity and the ability to build broad relationships with the right influencers, leveraging those relationships to impact key results for our business.
To be successful in this role, the following skills and experience are required:
- Service Design and Management:
• Service Architecture and Design: Review specifications and offer insights at the code and architectural level on manageability and supportability of platforms and solutions.
• Develop operational and service requirements for Finance tools to enable sustainable and reliable operations.
• Improve/Optimize services to ensure end to end integration of services (i.e. the full stack of application, infrastructure, networking)
• Performance Optimization: Defines metrics and analyzes performance data related to service elements, provide and implement recommendations to improve service quality
• Continuity Planning: Lead and Implement plans for disaster recovery, high availability, issue mitigation, contingency, and security as needed.
• Executive reporting - Contribute to quarterly service reviews with leadership in ensuring appropriate level of LT visibility - System / Service / Business metrics
- Coding and Microsoft Azure Platform:
• TSQL (MSSQL, SQL Always On, SQL Azure)
• Coding for Big Data solutions (using Java, Scala, Python) on Windows/Linux
• Exposure to Big Data and Analytics platform: HDInsight (Hadoop, Spark, HBase).
• PowerShell, Shell Scripts, C#, VBScript
• Windows server technologies, Active Directory, IIS, SQL 2012, Clustering
• Azure Cloud Services
• SCOM, Fiddler, AppInsights, System Center Orchestrator, SMTP
- Service Engineering and Operations
• Expertise in supporting real world Big Data Solutions.
• Problem Management: Perform root cause analysis, track and investigate problems by using standard and custom problem management tools and processes, and develop plans and recommendations for improvements. Deep technical skillset for implementing recommended technical solutions.
• Incident Management: Document and investigate escalated incidents or incidents across multiple service dependencies, resolve them by using innovative engineering practices, and document those innovations into engineering standards while monitoring the overall quality of incident management
• Participate in the implementation of new SQL application releases and web technology, embed deeply with engineering teams to provide design inputs and operational best practices to support large scale infrastructure and design.
• Manage supportability and ensure the availability of applications, properties, systems, networks, and servers. Proactively support multiple, highly complex systems and infrastructure.
o Additional Skills:
• Demonstrated troubleshooting and problem solving skills, especially with initially ambiguous or incomplete details in highly complex and available environments.
• Demonstrated excellence in customer focus and ability to communicate complex technical concepts and issues to a non-technical customer community in a concise, clear manner often tailored to the audience.
• Demonstrated experience with agile methodologies such as SCRUM and familiarity with the role that service engineering plays in the delivery process.
• Demonstrated experience running services in a continuous delivery framework with minimal quality issues.
• Solid understanding of client/server, Azure networking, and Internet technologies fundamentals.
• 3+ years scripting and/or coding skills including, but not limited to, one or more of the following: PowerShell, C#, TSQL, VBScript, C#, Java, Scala, Python
• 2+ years of experience with enterprise systems that leverage SQL 2014/2016
• 2+ years of experience operating enterprise systems deployed on Windows Server 2008/2012
• Experience with supporting or engineering solutions for Azure Public Cloud, Server Virtualization, Enterprise Storage, Networking, System Center Products, and App Insights.
• Expertise in managing Big Data Solutions on HDInsights, Hadoop/Spark clusters
• IIS Administration- Web Site setup, migration, troubleshooting complex issues, SSL certificate management.
• Working knowledge of Load Balancing solutions like HLB, ASLB. and how they are used in highly complex and available enterprise environments
• Knowledge of Monitoring tools such as SCOM, OMS or any other.
• Automated Performance Testing Expertise
• Ability to manage and deliver multiple project phases at the same time and being able to manage ongoing operational issues along with longer term strategic work.
• Working knowledge of MOF/ITIL best practices and demonstrated experience with implementing and operating systems within these frameworks.
• Experience in managing supportability and troubleshooting the availability of applications, properties, systems, networks, and servers for high availability enterprise systems. Ability to deal with the ambiguity associated with working in a fast paced and changing environment.
• Leadership skills: Sound problem resolution, judgment, negotiating and decision making skills.
• Preferred skills in Project Management.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.