Universal Store Team (UST) enables one of Microsoft’s most business-critical needs: electronic monetization of products and services. UST is developing some of Microsoft’s largest scale, most business-critical cloud services. These services have a huge global footprint of over 240 markets and processes millions of transactions daily, with loads growing linearly as Microsoft moves to a fully cloud-powered services and devices company. The platform powers all of Microsoft’s key businesses - Azure, Office 365, XBOX, Windows App Store, Windows Phone, Bing Ads to name just a few. The platform also powers the licensing business for millions of customers large and small, enabling them to use Microsoft software and services across cloud, on-premises, and hybrid scenarios. Whether renting a movie or buying a game on Xbox LIVE, purchasing an app on a Windows or Windows Phone device, signing up for an Office 365 subscription or paying for Azure services, you are using Universal Store.
Enterprise Commerce (EC) is the part of Universal Store that is responsible for delivering millions of transactions and one great experience for the core licensing areas of Microsoft. This Service Engineering role will be responsible for designing, developing and optimizing the transactional and reporting systems that manage billions of Microsoft’s revenue and demands excellence in strategic thinking, driving for results, operational excellence, cross-division collaboration, and executive maturity. Service Engineers code to fill the operational and service reliability requirements and gaps vs building new product or service features. S/he is responsible to understand how the operational, platform and networking components of a service interact with the feature code. They are helping architect and design for highly reliable customer experiences.
• Design, build and manage high availability services, focusing on latency, scalability, efficiency and operability of the service
• Contribute in debugging, troubleshooting complete stack of a service; drive analysis of a service outage to recommend solutions to solve problems permanently
• Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting
• Builds scripting solutions to automate platform setup
• Conduct periodic on call duties
• BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
• 2+ years software development experience (online services preferred)
• Excellent C#, C++, C, .NET or Java coding skills
• Capable of technical deep-dives into service design, operating systems, networking, storage, monitoring, and capacity planning
• Exceptional problem solving skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.