The Microsoft Azure Storage Hardware team is looking for a talented service engineer to:
Work on distributed systems scaling to Exabytes of storage in data centers around the world.
Impact millions of customers by powering services like OneDrive, Xbox, Skype, Bing, Office 365, and many other large enterprise customers.
Work on a fast-paced team with talented engineers.
We are building Microsoft's cloud storage solution which is a massively scalable, highly distributed, ubiquitously accessible storage system, designed to scale out and serve the entire world. This role is for someone who is passionate about running large scale services and the opportunity to influence the direction of the team at this early stage of exponential cloud growth.
A successful candidate must be hands-on with code, data analysis, and monitoring with a strong sense of ownership. Successful candidates are decisive leaders that are capable of driving through ambiguity amidst evolving requirements, environments, topologies, technologies, and workloads.
• Obsesses about customer experience and drives cross team automation efforts to improve availability, reliability, and performance.
• Troubleshooting complex hardware and automation issues
• Document architecture design, code and analysis work
• Leverage PowerShell, C# and other means to quickly automate processes to resolve issues experienced by customers.
• Design, write and deliver software to improve the availability, scalability, latency, and efficiency of Azure Storage.
• Collaborates with Engineering and PM counterparts to translate customer, business, / technical requirements into components of a service architecture, and operability
• Drive architectural design sessions with other team members to ensure consistency in a rapidly changing environment.
• Be available for an on-call rotation with the ability to troubleshoot and communicate outside of normal business hours
• Respond and resolve emergent issues, act as a crisis manager and subsequently follow through to prevent problem recurrence using a Problem Management approach
• Creates and implements standards and best practices, drives adoption across partner teams and external hardware vendors
• Drive efficiencies through process improvement and root cause analysis resulting in service maturity and scalability
• Experience with Windows Azure / AWS.
• Strong understanding of rack and server components and how to manage in a hyperscale environment. Experience working on large scale distributed services with on-call responsibilities.
• Firm sense of accountability, ownership for end-to-end project lifecycle with solid communication skills. Expertise in problem solving, analyzing hyper scale distributed systems and critical production service environments.
• Strong experience in trouble shooting hardware related issues (HDDs / JBODS, firmware issues, driver issues, environmental issues)
• Ability to successfully engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously and work independently
• Ability to work under pressure, demonstrates resilience, and maintains a constructive attitude in times of change
• A strong pragmatic approach to problem solving being prepared to discover problems you’ve never encountered or a problem that has never been seen before
• 2+ years of software development or service engineer experience using PowerShell, C# or T-SQL
• Strong leadership and communication skills
• Ability to work independently and with a team in a technical environment
*Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
*Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
*Criminal Justice Information Services: This position may require passing a background check conducted through the CJIS criminal justice information system by authorized local, state, and/or federal agencies.
*Fingerprint Background Check: This position will be required to pass a customer required Fingerprint Background Check.
*Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.