Location: Gastonia, North Carolina - United States
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The Gastonia Plant Shift Leader is responsible for leadership and support of our production personnel within their particular shift. The Shift Leader is expected to seek out learnings and understandings to know what is necessary for their team, and individual team members, to successfully grow, develop, and deliver results. The Shift Leader also manages and oversees all shift operations in a manner that enhances the plant's safety, engagement, cost, productivity, efficiency, quality, and customer service. The Shift Leader is expected to drive continuous improvement efforts brought up on shift all the way through to completion.
Join an organization that believes that every employee owns a piece of our bold growth goals and ultimate success. We are a market-leading innovator that has placed on the Fortune 500®. Owens Corning is devoted to delivering sustainable solutions across our three business segments while striving to ensure our people and products make the world a better place. We take pride in having an inclusive and diverse workplace with employees around the globe. A holistic sense of community exists across our entire organization as our talent grows globally. We are a company that fully recognizes the importance of paving a path to a sustainable and safe enterprise through investing in our people. Our desire to make an impactful difference in the world flows from top down to all levels of the organization. By being a company that instills pride within each and every employee, we aspire to build market-leading businesses; global in scope - human in scale.
The Shift Leader works a 12-hour rotating shift with his/her corresponding team - A, B, C, or D.Reports to
: Production LeaderSpan of Control
: Operations Technicians & Material Handler on shift (13 employees)
JOB RESPONSIBILITIESLives the Safety Stand, Adheres to Safety Responsibilities, & Consistently Drives to a More Safe Workplace
Drive Actions to Support Customer Satisfaction and Quality Commitments
- Constantly work to ensure a safe work environment through strict adherence to OC safety policies and procedures
- Ensure all employees complete all required safety training and certification
- Drive the execution of regular safety requirements - Monthly participation, BBS, Hazard Identification, safe work permits, reporting of near misses, AWAQS entries, safety inspections, etc.
- Educate and coach team members on safe operating procedures and behaviors, and provide reinforcement and feedback where appropriate to drive desired behaviors
- Effectively communicate Owens Corning's stand on safety throughout the Operations Department to ensure employees believe in and behave in a manner that supports our stand: all accidents are preventable, safety is everyone's responsibility, and that working safely is a condition of employment at Owens Corning
- Drive Continuous improvement in the areas of Safety and Housekeeping
- Reports any unsafe act, condition, accident or injury immediately.
- Understands and follows the lock-out procedure.
Lead and Develop Talent
- Understand and communicate customer expectations throughout the Operations Department, and ensure all products meet customer standards and requirements
- Develop the shifts knowledge around customer needs, specifications, and requirements
- Develop Standard Work for areas that directly correlate to Quality Management
- Perform Root Cause Analysis with the involvement of team members on all quality issues/ customer complaints
- Train the shift on problem solving skills, empower team members to take action, and coach through to resolution
- Participate in customer visits (both onsite and at customer locations) to better understand customer needs and requirements
Accountable for Administrative Processes
- Have the technical aptitude and knowledge to coach team members on process knowledge and technical understanding of the different areas of the line
- Enforce accountability across the shift for adherence to plant and corporate policies and procedures
- Fairly and effectively allocate people resources to cross-training efforts and execute proper documentation and updates along with this process
- Develop and oversee onboarding and training plans for new hires as needed
- Regularly provide candid feedback on expectations and performance to team members
- Actively participate, and encourage team members to participate, in training and growth opportunities
- Partner with HR to continuously improve and implement the performance management system for primary employees
- Execute year-end performance review process and deliver feedback and action plans to team members
- Establish an engaged workforce on shift characterized by mutual trust, open communication, teamwork and recognition
- Gather input from and engage all team members in productivity initiatives
- Verify team member time and attendance using Kronos
- Drive overtime needs to a minimum, and schedule employees for overtime only as business needs dictate
- Appropriately track and document employee occurrences and subsequent coaching conversations as needed. These could be for safety, attendance, performance, etc.
- Document and communicate shift happenings through daily shift reports
- Approve and schedule vacation of team members keeping in mind the needs for the shift to run effectively
- Other administrative tasks related to the efficient management of the shift
JOB REQUIREMENTSMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum 3-5 years of work experience in manufacturing, industrial, or related environment.
- Bachelor's Degree strongly preferred. Minimum of an Associate's Degree in related field is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Lean Manufacturing Experience is preferred
- 1-3 years of leadership or supervisory experience preferred
About Owens Corning
- Engages and cares for others, promoting safety as a condition of employment
- Encompasses skills necessary of OC growth capability: ideation, evaluation, & action
- Computer Proficiency, MS Excel, MS Word, Kronos, SAP
- Desire to continuously learn, ability to tie area tasks to site strategy
- Process and Technical Aptitude
- Lead through the safety and corporate vision
- Self-awareness and connection to OC Employee Values: Innovation, Sharing, Fun, Respect, Candor, Accountability
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize TPM philosophy and tools
- Ability to coach and drive results through others
- Ability to effectively communicate to all levels of management and all primary employees
- Possesses strong business and financial acumen
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company's market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately, Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2015 sales of $5.4 billion and employs about 16,000 people in 25 countries. It has been a Fortune 500® company for 62 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com .A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we'll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.