Location: Santa Clara, California - United States
. Shift Mechanic Job Description Job Title:
Shift Mechanic Department:
Maintenance Reports to:
Department Supervisor Supervises:
N/A FLSA Status:
Maintains, repairs and installs any mechanical and mechanically related equipment associated with the operation of the plant. Responsible for the work performed by the personnel in the Maintenance Mechanic Apprentices and other assigned personnel under the direction and authority of supervision. Makes decision in carrying out any job activities when working on shift without direct supervision. Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Principal Duties and Responsibilities: (Continued)
- Repairs, maintains, and installs plant's machines, equipment and systems.
- Assembles, disassembles or installs mechanical equipment working from engineering drawings, field sketches, other related documents and verbal field instruction needed to perform assigned duties. Updates drawing and documentation as required.
- Uses and operates tools of the trade and any equipment used in performing work of the craft (including, but not limited to, mechanical carpentry, painting, etc.).
- Adjusts, repairs and replaces any faulty parts in plant machinery and equipment.
- Performs preventive maintenance.
- Completes records and reports (including but not limited to, MCMS, SAP, Log sheet, Oil log, etc.).
- Rigs, builds scaffolding and uses scaffolds and ladders necessary to accomplish assigned work.
- Receives, transports and ships equipment as required.
- Operates automotive equipment as required (including, but not limited to, payloader, trucks, forklifts, etc.).
- Maintains, diagnoses malfunction and repairs automotive equipment, other related internal combustion powered machines and rolling stock.
- Operates vehicles to move and position loads (including, but not limited to, machinery, equipment, materials, etc.)
- Assists and performs incidental work of the Shift Electrician as required.
- Participates in the emergency response team.
- Participates in the safety, continuous improvement, communication process, and good housekeeping programs as established within the plant.
- Performs other related duties consistent with the nature of the job as directed by supervision.
- Available for absences, illness, vacation and extended LOA's.
- On any shift vacancies, (call-offs, vacations, etc) the scheduled shift mechanic will arrange their own coverage. Calling the off duty shifter's first, then the shift relief second.
- All report-offs need to be made through the normal report-off process as per Article 26, paragraph 129 of the Contract.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Cover for any ERT training.
- For vacations, the scheduled shift mechanic will request the off duty shifter relieve for the first 3 day rotation. The shift relief will then take over if the vacation scheduled is more than one 3 day rotation.
The employee should hold the following abilities:
- Licensed Forklift driver.
- Know LTT for work area.
- Know how to use SAP.
- Understand the plant safety guidelines and pass all required safety training.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English
- Must be able to understand verbal and written instructions
- Must possess strong communication and organizational skills
- Must have the ability to multi-task
- Must have strong internal and external customer service skills
COMPUTER AND SOFTWARE COMPENTENCIES
- Must work well in team environment
- Must be able to work independently
- Must be able to secure and maintain fork lift drivers license
- Must have to ability to do basic mathematical calculations
The employee must be able to:
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Operate a computer or other keyboard instrument
The employee should have the following:
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Minimum high school diploma or equivalent is required
- Related experience and/or training in an industrial environment
- Proof of legal authorization to work in the United States
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be drug and alcohol free
The employee should possess the ability to:
- Regular attendance on site and the ability to work varying or rotating shifts
- Wearing respirator protection - frequently
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT (Continued)
- Exposure to hot/cold temperature- continuously
- Exposure to noise- continuously
- Lifting/carrying/moving up to 50 pounds
- Sitting- frequently
- Standing- continuously
- Twisting and Bending - continuously
- Walking - frequently
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employee(s) will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
A review of this position has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. All duties and responsibilities are essential job functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents(s) will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and abilities.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship. About Owens Corning
Owens Corning (NYSE: OC) develops, manufactures and markets insulation, roofing, and fiberglass composites. Global in scope and human in scale, the company's market-leading businesses use their deep expertise in materials, manufacturing and building science to develop products and systems that save energy and improve comfort in commercial and residential buildings. Through its glass reinforcements business, the company makes thousands of products lighter, stronger and more durable. Ultimately Owens Corning people and products make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, Owens Corning posted 2014 sales of $5.3 billion and employs about 15,000 people in 26 countries. It has been listed as a Fortune 500® company for more than 61 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com .A career at Owens Corning offers the ability to enhance your expertise and achieve your personal and professional aspirations. Through it all, we'll empower you with an environment that encourages open communication and big ideas, competitive pay for your performance, comprehensive benefits, and more opportunities to make your impact.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. on a permanent basis.
Owens Corning is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.