Additional Location(s) or Information:
Job Category: Networking
Level of Experience: Experienced - Non Manager
Requisition #: S1013989
The Business Entity
The scope and definition of networks is being redefined as more devices - sensors, machines, vehicles, etc. - are being connected. The Internet is becoming the "Internet of Everything", and "Things" are driving an explosion in the number of connected devices as well as the volume of data: The "Internet of Things" or "IoT". The IoT Software Platform team is building the next generation infrastructure to handle this. The scale required to connect, manage, secure, and move data from these devices in a useful way is unprecedented and is going to require significant innovation to meet the challenge. The IoT Software Platform team's mission is to meet these challenges.
Cisco is building a world-class team to build the IoT Software Platform, and as member of that team, you'll collaborate with people who have deep experience in large scale, high performance, highly distributed systems. Our team is powered by people, and our people are empowered, have visibility into customer needs, and everyone is encouraged to experiment and engage in learning that produces results. Our leadership is deeply technical, and has a proven track record of delivering innovative technology. We consider Agile to be a culture, not a process. Test-driven development is a baseline, and we apply behavior-driven development when it makes sense. We leverage open source where it makes sense and lead or contribute to these communities. If this sounds like a place you can thrive, and you believe that untested code is broken code, that working code trumps Power Point slides, we want to talk to you.
Role & Responsibilities
As a member of the IoT software infrastructure team, you will:
• Contribute to the architecture, design, implementation, and delivery of Cisco's IoT Software Platform.
• Engineering of Engineers, supporting IoT Platform throughout the engineering lifecycle
• Building highly horizontally scalable, distributed services that run in public, private and hybrid cloud infrastructures.
• Building large scale messaging infrastructure, data replication, auto-scaling and stream processing
• Build enhancements to our data stream network to handle trillions of monthly transactions
• Experience with contemporary development tools such as Git, continuous integration, automated testing frameworks, etc
• BS /MS in Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent with 5 years of experience
• System admin experience
• Experience with cloud hosting - AWS, RackSpace, CIS, Openstack
• Experience to 24X7 support model with oncall rotation
• Experience with monitoring with alerting
• Good proficiency with script languages such as Python/Shell
• Knowledge of distributed computing
• Experienced with implementing back-end services in large / "web scale" distributed systems.
• Knowledge and experience with micro-services design and implementation.
• Knowledge and experience with "Platform as a Service" environments or other application development platforms.
• Strong team player, with ability to actively contribute in teams with different skill and experience levels.
• Knowledge about buffering, stream processing, complex event processing, and storage solutions (e.g., RabbitMQ, Kafka, , Mongo, etc)
• Experience with Cluster enabling solutions with services like Apache Mesos, Kubernetes
• Service discovery solutions like Consul.io, HA proxy etc
• Understanding on how to develop within a continuous integration environment leveraging tools such as Jenkins, Hudson, Bamboo
• Monitoring setup (Cloud Watch/Nagios/New Relic/SPM/Sensu)
• Experience building highly scalable solutions
• Excellent troubleshooting skills on a busy infrastructure setup
• About Cisco
The Internet of Everything is a phenomenon driving new opportunities for Cisco and it's transforming our customers' businesses worldwide. We are pioneers and have been since the early days of connectivity. Today, we are building teams that are expanding our technology solutions in the mobile, cloud, security, IT, and big data spaces, including software and consulting services. As Cisco delivers the network that powers the Internet, we are connecting the unconnected. Imagine creating unprecedented disruption. Your revolutionary ideas will impact everything from retail, healthcare, and entertainment, to public and private sectors, and far beyond. Collaborate with like-minded innovators in a fun and flexible culture that has earned Cisco global recognition as a Great Place To Work. With roughly 10 billion connected things in the world now and over 50 billion estimated in the future, your career has exponential possibilities at Cisco.
Job Type: Experienced
Opportunity Category: Internet of Everything
A little about us:
We are one, big, techie, employee tribe that changes the world while having fun.