Under the supervision of nursing staff, the Sitter provides personal care services and continuous observation of patients who need constant supervision. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Qualifications: EDUCATION REQUIRED AND/OR PREFERRED:
- Prepare meal trays; clear bedside table, remove cover from food, open containers
- Reorient the patient as appropriate; time, place, person
- Straighten bed and/or change bed linens when patient is out of bed
- Straighten up patient's room and care for flowers
- Provide fluids, ice as permitted
- Accompany patient off the unit as needed
- Read or converse with the patient
- Stay with patient at all times during assigned duty. (Must be relieved for breaks and lunch/dinner)
- Consistently takes and accurately records vital signs, height, weight and I & O in a timely manner and records all variations from normal and reports to RN/Charge RN/LPN. Provides patient's personal hygiene needs, and assist patients with activities of daily living .
- Obtains verbal report from the patient's nurse to include information regarding the patient's identified care needs, diagnosis, visual, auditory, or language barriers, as well as any special consideration (NPO, bed alarms, etc.).
- Positions self in patient room at bedside to maintain constant visual observation of the patient. Never leaves the patient alone or out of sight unless specifically instructed by the nurse.
- Obtains instruction from nurse regarding ambulation limitations and course of action for redirection of patient if needed.
- Observant of the patient's activity and behavior and communicates on a regular basis to the nurse. Receives direction from the nurse re: what to report, to whom, and how.
- Provides for patient comfort, safety, and satisfaction. Maintains patient environment in a safe and orderly manner.
- Functions cooperatively as a team member. Responds as directed by responsible nurse to changing patients'/unit's needs. During a patient or environmental emergency, may serve as a runner or transport patients as directed.
- Communicates in a professional manner and demonstrates respect for patient, families/significant other and other health care members.
- Offers support and feedback to peers and staff. Applies principles of caring and healing in interactions with patients and families and with colleagues.
- Accurately and legibly records data collected and notifies RN of any untoward events, i.e., behavioral changes, violent behavior, etc.
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED OR PREFERRED:
- High School or equivalency required.
- One Year Health Care Experience is preferred.
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom