Underwriter Trainee Small Commercial - Charlotte, NC Start Date: February 12, 2018 Training hours: Monday-Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm EST Post training: Monday-Friday 8:30am - 5:00pm EST WHAT ARE THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION?
The Commercial Underwriting trainee program is designed to prepare college graduates and business professionals for the commercial insurance market.
Trainees complete a formal 15 week training program in Charlotte, NC. This program is the first phase of several levels of training that will continue throughout your career in underwriting.
- Training will be facilitator led in a virtual environment.
- Achieve standards established for success in the program by completing daily assignments, including reading of text materials, completion of on-line courses, case study work, exams, and general activities.
- Actively participate in class by asking questions, volunteering answers, and assisting teammates as appropriate.
- Participate fully with the other trainees on any group/team activities, as assigned by the training manager.
- Adhere to The Hartford's employment policies and procedures, including attendance and professionalism in the workplace.
Beyond the 15 week training period you will:
- Build and leverage personal relationships with key customers that allow The Hartford to obtain new accounts as well as retain and expand sales to existing accounts. Identify customer's needs and demonstrate how The Hartford's products and services can meet those needs.
- Achieve the operating plan objectives via new business production through frequent interaction with assigned agents in order to significantly increase The Hartford's penetration of the agent's existing books of business.
- Review insurance policy submissions and determine appetite to underwrite, underwrite and price new renewal business, and present quotes to the agent.
- Maintain knowledge of the regional office strategic direction and plan, including goals and objectives to achieve profit and growth.
- Become the carrier of choice by communicating, publicizing, and providing training to agents and their staff on new products and programs.
- Plan and prioritize work activities to achieve desired results within necessary time frames.
- Effectively use on-line resources, automation tools, and computer software packages.
- Continuously develop and strengthen the skills required for success in the sales underwriting position to prepare for additional responsibility.
A bachelor's degree in Risk Management and Insurance, Business Administration, Finance and Accounting, Economics, Marketing, or Liberal Arts with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above or an equivalent combination of education and experience is strongly preferred.
Additional Requirements: A required pre-employment assessment will be sent to you via email once you apply. Please complete the assessment within 48 hours.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong sales and business acumen.
- High energy self-starter, good decision maker with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Solid time management skills.
- Computer savvy- experience with MS office suite.
- Competitive nature and strong desire to win
Visit our website to learn more about The Hartford's recognition. More information about the company and its product offerings is available at www.thehartford.com .
- Join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheHartford .
- Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/TheHartford .
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression