St. David's Round Rock Medical Center is part of St. David's HealthCare , one of the largest health systems in Texas, which was recognized with a Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award in 2014. With 171 beds, the hospital's comprehensive services include advanced cardiac care at the Heart Hospital of Austin at St. David's Round Rock-the first specialized cardiac facility in Williamson County-with the only Hybrid Operating Room (OR) in the county; as well as emergency services in a 24-hour emergency department, including advanced trauma care with a Level II Trauma Center; St. David's Urgent Care Round Rock; and St. David's Emergency Center in Cedar Park. St. David's Round Rock Medical Center is also known for providing advanced orthopedic and robotic services, among other complex specialties. In 2016, the hospital received the Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence from Healthgrades and also earned a national distinction for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group . POSITION SUMMARY
Assists in meeting the psychosocial needs of hospital patients by providing counseling, crisis intervention, and complex discharge planning services to patients/families. ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs complex discharge planning facilitation
- Responds to all interdisciplinary team and patient/family referrals within 24 hours during business days and Monday morning for weekend referrals.
- Provides complex discharge planning assessments as referred by physicians and other interdisciplinary team members, patients, or family members.
- Implements complex discharge plans which involve extensive community resource referrals and family/patient counseling and interdisciplinary team coordination.
- Assist patients/families with education/clarification regarding informed treatment choices.
- Works with the assigned case manager on the unit to ensure timely discharge arrangements are made for all patients on assigned units.
- Documents in patient medical records on the same day social service intervention is provided.
Provides patient/family counseling
- Acknowledges referrals within 24 hours during business days and Monday morning for weekend referrals.
- Provides appropriate counseling to patients/families.
- Refers longer term needs to appropriate outpatient services.
- Documents counseling services in patient's medical record as soon as interventions occur to ensure timely communication of psychosocial information to other appropriate clinical staff.
Provides crisis intervention counseling
- Responds to all crisis referrals from the Emergency Department or nursing units within 10 minutes by phone and within 20 minutes in person.
- Identifies needs and makes referrals to appropriate communicate and inpatient/outpatient services as needed.
- Documents assessments and services provided in Emergency Department medical records, at conclusion of service.
Evaluates psychosocial needs of patients/families
- Responds to all referrals within 24 hours.
- Assesses and provides individual psychosocial evaluations as requested by interdisciplinary team/medical doctor.
- Documents psychosocial assessment, evaluations, and recommendations within 24 hours of the intervention to ensure timely communication of pertinent information which can impact a patient's medical treatment and outcome.
Performs departmental and interdepartmental duties
Qualifications: EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Responds to all routine referrals within 24 hours and crisis referrals within 20 minutes.
- Interprets appropriate social and family information to health care staff in a timely manner.
- Maintains effective, positive working relationships with hospital health care staff and community professionals.
- Provides information and referral services for community calls.
- Completes other duties as assigned within designated time frame.
- Maintains annual state licensure and posts in accordance with Joint Commission and NASW guidelines.
- Attends and participates in 95% of weekly staff meetings.
- Actively supports and participates in quality initiatives by attending educational programs, process improvement team membership, and/or providing technical assistance.
- Appropriately accesses secured rooms with medication storage containers in order to perform assigned job function, which does not include management of medications.
Required: Degree in Social Work at Master's level.
Preferred: Previous experience working in a medium to large hospital setting. Previous crisis intervention experience. LICENSES AND CERTIFICATES
Required: Licensure through the Texas State Board of Social Worker Examiners at a Master's level.
Preferred: ACM Certification, BLS
A little about us:
HCA is the nation’s leading private provider of healthcare services. Comprised of locally managed facilities which include 230,000 employees at over 160 hospitals, over 120 surgery centers and 100 urgent care facilities in 20 states and the United Kingdom