Oracle Utilities mission is to help utilities build a clean energy future. Care to join us?
At Oracle's Utilities the Opower organization is applying cutting edge computer science to one of humanity's greatest challenges: Energy. Prior to being acquired by Oracle in 2016, Opower was a successful startup focussed on solving problems for the utility industry. Our utility customers in the U.S. and abroad give us energy usage data for tens of millions of their customers, which we then analyze and aggregate using the latest software technology to motivate consumers to use less energy. We use the right tools for each element of our broad solution set so our engineers get exposure to everything from the Spring Framework to Ruby on Rails, from Hadoop and HBase to MySQL. If you are a top notch engineer looking for a fast paced, high growth place to work while being surrounded by highly skilled, driven peers then Opower is the place for you.
Apart from the mission, you'll be working with a bunch of extremely smart engineers who are passionate about writing code for the right purpose! We are a utility unto itself, every line of code we write helps utilities save (nay: generate) kWhs of electricity. We're also a fun bunch: Friday lunches, Kegerator, dogs in the office, and the list goes on. Our products are Software-As-A-Service, what that means is, you'll get opportunities to work on industry's leading continuously delivered micro services technologies.
About the Rates Team The Rates team is an end-to-end agile scrum team, developing a Rates engine to help Opower employ utility billing and usage data to drive customer engagement and energy efficiency. Our tools enable Opower to deliver deep, personalized energy insights to end customers and help utilities build a clean energy future.
- Lead the design and implementation of complex features and services.
- Deliver compelling products within a contemporary micro-services architecture and improve Opower stack.
- Be responsible for a critical portion of the codebase, from design through support.
- Become recognized inside and outside Engineering as a subject matter expert .
- Mentor junior engineers via code reviews, design assistance, pairing & explicit mentorship.
- Collaborate with peers, within and outside the team.
- Are proficient in multiple industry technologies (e.g., Java, Ruby, Spring, MySQL, or Hadoop) and excel at implementation of at least one.
- Take ownership of code areas that you touch.
- Communicate well with engineers & non-engineers alike.
- Document what you do, from design docs through user documentation.
- Write unit & integration tests as part of your coding process.
- Stay on the cutting edge of technology.
Keywords: Java, Docker, Continuous Integration, SOA, Spring, MySQL, Hadoop, Linux, Shell, AgileQualifications:
Analyze, design develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for commercial or end user applications. Writes code, completes programming and performs testing and debugging of applications.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will perform high-level design based on provided external specifications. Specify, design and implement minor changes to existing software architecture. Build highly complex enhancements and resolve complex bugs. Build and execute unit tests and unit plans. Review integration and regression test plans created by QA. Communicate with QA and porting engineering as necessary to discuss minor changes to product functionality and to ensure quality and consistency across specific products.
Duties and tasks are varied and complex needing independent judgment. Fully competent in own area of expertise. May have project lead role and or supervise lower level personnel. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 4 years of software engineering or related experience.Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.