Oracle's x86 Systems Group is the innovation engine behind Oracle's industry leading enterprise x86 systems products.
This group develops hardware and software for scalable high performance, elegantly-designed, leading-edge x86-based systems.
We design and integrate state-of-the-art, secure, and easy to use system management as a core component. Our systems are optimized for the leading Operating Systems: Oracle Solaris, Oracle Linux, Microsoft Windows and industry leading virtualization solutions such as Oracle VM and VMware vSphere. This group is a dynamic, flexible group that thrives on fast paced innovation and challenging the status quo.
Oracle's X86 Systems Group is seeking an experienced operating system kernel and device driver engineer to join a team doing operating systems bringup for Oracle's X86 based enterprise servers.
This role involves bringing up early access system hardware based on state of the art technology to life from operating systems perspective and ensuring all key
functionality of hardware are working as designed and operating systems have capabilities to use
Work is non-routine and requires evaluation of state of the art CPU, chipset and IO devices features and development of a plan, either from development perspective
or from testing perspective, for the new features, including enterprise features such as multi-socket CPU configurations, high capacity and bandwidth memory and PCI-e I/O subsystems, power management, and reliability availability and serviceability (RAS) to be used at the software level. It requires working collaboratively with UEFI based firmware teams, our operating systems and IO devices partners, quality engineering and manufacturing teams to develop an industry's best server solution from performance and quality perspective.
The candidate will be responsible for:
1. Being part of team doing operating systems (Solaris, Linux, Oracle VM, Windows, VMware vSphere) bringup on state of the art hardware systems.
2. Root cause problems hindering normal operation of the system from operating systems perspective.
3. Collaborate with hardware, firmware and systems management engineers to drive system design making hardware functionality usable by operating systems.
4. Interface with operating systems vendor to implement new features and root cause complex issues.
5. Work with systems quality team, review test plans to ensure that resources are applied efficiently to meet quality goals.
6. Perform OS platform certifications as needed.
7. Automate repetitive activities for better resources utilization.
Desired Knowledge and Skills:
1. Kernel and Device Device driver development skills in Solaris or Linux.
2. Strong C Programming Language skills.
3. Strong understanding of X86 based systems architecture.
4. Strong problem solving, troubleshooting and debugging skills in Linux or Solaris environment.
5. Ability to communicate clearly.
Preferred Knowledge and Skills:
1. Knowledge of Solaris development processes.
2. Understanding of boot loaders, hypervisors, early system boot process is a plus.
3. Knowledge of firmware/OS interface such as ACPI, SMBIOS.
4. Knowledge of x86 system architecture, PCI express, SAS, Ethernet and other interface protocols.
5. Knowledge of error handling (memory, PCI) at system hardware, firmware and operating system level.
6. Experience with writing scripts (python, perl etc.) to automate tasks.
Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will take an active role in the definition and evolution of standard practices and procedures. You will be responsible for defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, designing and debugging of software applications or operating systems.
Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 7 years of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
A little about us:
Oracle is shifting the complexity from IT, moving it out of the enterprise by engineering hardware and software to work together—in the cloud.