Software Development Director - Cupertino, CA
The Oracle Audience Data Marketplace is the world's largest B2B aggregation of third party data, and combined with the Oracle Data Management Platform (Oracle DMP), the Oracle Data Cloud team enables marketers a comprehensive and unified data management platform to drive prospecting at scale, audience insights and cross-channel marketing actions.
You will lead our backend big data engineering platform(s). You will drive the strategy and delivery of a streaming data engineering and analytics platform which processes data at high volume, high throughput, and low latency. As the leader for this team, you are someone comfortable embracing challenges of dealing with terabytes of data on a daily basis and petabytes of data at-rest. You are knowledgeable about building large-scale data processing systems, data warehouses, and the latest trends in big data techniques and technologies.
This role will require you to interact across multiple teams requiring expertise in technical, written, and spoken communication skills. You will work in an environment where we value, expect and reward peer-to-peer collaboration and you will be positioned and expected to make a significant impact on how the Oracle Data Cloud strategy unfolds and develops.
• Develop, communicate, and manage the strategy and delivery of the full product lifecycle for our Data Engineering team.
• Oversee the development and delivery of large scale initiatives which include new products, architecture evolutions/refactoring, and new technology adoption.
• Strengthen relationships across product, engineering, and other non-technical organizations across the Oracle Marketing Cloud and the Oracle Data Cloud.
• Drive complex software engineering projects and programs which are broad in scope, interdependent, high risk/high impact, with various implantation time frames.
• Be a great leader/manager, clearly communicate goals, responsibilities, issues and status to team members and stakeholders.
• Drive high quality software development process which maintain a spirit of fast fails, testing-in-production, and continuous integration/deployment. Drive a culture of: Write code, release often, and have a blast doing it.
Candidates should have:
• 5 years of experience leading teams, as a development manager or engineering manager
• 6 years in Java, C/C , Python or Scala and a strong proficiency OO design and ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) procedures and solutions
• 6 years developing and operating software in a Linux/UNIX environment (incl. working with Perl, Python, bash, or your favorite scripting language)
• 3 years in Hadoop related technologies (MapReduce, YARN, HDFS, Pig, Hive, HBASE, Zookeeper, Cassandra, Mongo, Spark, etc.)
• Experience building and tuning probabilistic data structures
• Experience with real time streaming frameworks and solutions, such as Kinesis or Kafka
• Experience building and operating big data production solutions at scale
• Experience in Scrum/Agile methodologies
• B.S. in Computer Science or a related field
• Interest and aptitude for understanding the business models that drive the company
Ideal candidates will also have the following:
• Experience directly leading a modern data engineering and analytics technology platform
• 5 years of industry experience in Hadoop, big data technologies or related data engineering strategies
• A demonstrated record of delivering projects in the face of significant ambiguity and complexity
• M.S. or higher in Computer Science
• Experience in ad technologies and/or the online advertising space
Candidate Personal Attributes:
Love of Problem-Solving : You attack problems and solve them rather than raise barriers or pessimism
Self-starter : You like results, take initiative and have a figure-it-out-and-get-it-done mentality
Fun: You have good people skills, are humble and fun to be around
Passion : You have a natural curiosity and desire to excel
Ownership: You sign up, are accountable and follow through - whether you succeed or fail
Creative: You believe there is always a way to solve the problem
Data-driven: You gather data to make decisions and use data to convince others.
Manage a team that designs, develops, troubleshoots and debugs software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a director of the software engineering division, you will apply your extensive knowledge of software architecture to manage software development tasks associated with developing, debugging or designing software applications, operating systems and databases according to provided design specifications. Build enhancements within an existing software architecture and envision future improvements to the architecture.
Assists in the development of short, medium, and long term plans to achieve strategic objectives. Regularly interacts across functional areas with senior management or executives to ensure unit objectives are met. Ability to influence thinking or gain acceptance of others in sensitive situations. Demonstrated leadership and people management skills. Strong communication skills, analytical skills, thorough understanding of product development. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 7 years of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
A little about us:
Oracle is shifting the complexity from IT, moving it out of the enterprise by engineering hardware and software to work together—in the cloud.