Software Development Engineer - Host Provisioning
Posted: December 15, 2016
Reference ID: 16001D7U
Software Development Engineer
Oracle Host Provisioning
Oracle's Bare Metal Cloud Services group is building new Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) technologies that operate at high scale in a broadly distributed multi-tenant cloud environment. Our customers run their businesses on our cloud, and our mission is to provide them with the best in class compute, storage, networking, database, and security. These are exciting times in our space - we are growing fast, still at an early stage, and working on ambitious new initiatives. If you are passionate about taking ownership of big business and technical challenges in addition to vending software solutions that have a broad and significant impact, come join our team!
What you will do: You will be a member of a team that is responsible for provisioning and recycling the bare metal cloud infrastructure for both internal and external customers. You will collaborate with engineers from hardware engineering, software engineering and security engineering teams in order to design, develop, deploy and maintain bare metal system bring-up and device management solutions that are robust, secure and scalable.
Who is our ideal candidate: The ideal candidate for this role will be an innovative self-starter who is able to seek clarity in an ambiguous environment, constantly questioning the status quo and is willing to adapt to change. Ideally, you would have had prior experience with designing and developing scalable, fault tolerant infrastructure systems in a distributed environment and releasing software via a continuous integration & deployment model. You have an operational mindset and drive operational excellence and best practices. Prior experience in Bare Metal provisioning is a huge plus.
• 5 years experience as a software development engineer preferably in a Unix/Linux environment.
• Proficiency in developing objected-oriented software, with industry experience in one or more relevant languages (Java, C , Python, or C#)
• Knowledge of computer science fundamentals in data structures, algorithm design, and problem solving.
• Bachelor's degree in Computer science, Computer engineering, electrical engineering or relevant experience in lieu of a degree.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience delivering and operating large scale, highly available distributed systems.
• Experience designing and implementing fault tolerant distributed systems and REST API interfaces.
• Knowledge of software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Knowledge of networking protocols such as HTTP, DNS, DHCP, TFTP, TCP/IP.
• Experience with bare metal provisioning process, network boot technologies such as PXE, iPXE, etc and bootloaders such as Grub.
• Graduate degree or higher in Computer science, Computer engineering, Electrical engineering or related field
Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will take an active role in the definition and evolution of standard practices and procedures. You will be responsible for defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, designing and debugging of software applications or operating systems.
Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 7 years of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.