Software Development Manager
Are you an experienced scrum team lead or a senior software developer ready to become a manager while retaining your technical edge? At Opower, now a part of Oracle Utilities, our Engineering Managers are engineers first and managers second. You'll continue to exercise your dev skills implementing features while developing new leadership skills as you direct the team.
Oracle Utilities is applying cutting edge computer science to one of humanity's greatest challenges: Energy. Our utility customers around the world give us energy usage data for tens of millions of their customers which we then analyze and aggregate using the latest software technologies to motivate consumers to use less energy. As an engineering manager of the Client Engineering scrum team, you'll be in charge of delivering solutions tailored to meet the demands of our largest customers. The focus will be on web development: Java REST API services and Angular JS apps, but you'll get the chance to work with the full Oracle-Opower stack from data ingest, insight calculation, plus other channels like e-mail, SMS and even paper printing.
Location: Arlington, VA
• You've made mistakes and learned from them. Your 5 years of experience as a software engineer and 1 year of team lead/management have taught you valuable lessons that you will apply and mentor others.
• You have working familiarity with the whole web stack: modern JS apps, Java REST API services, databases. As a bonus, you've picked up deeper knowledge on things like caching, HTTP protocol, TCP/IP, Linux, etc.
• You want to own it. You embrace the challenges inherent in being fully responsible for delivering to most important clients, from supporting your applications in production to continuously monitoring and evolving it, based on performance metrics.
• You live the process. Delivering software in teams is hard; you can't be successful without bringing order to chaos. Scrum, issue tracking, source code management, continuous integration are all second nature to you. And, you know that too much can be worse than too little.
• You're able to deliver quickly and collaborate in continuous process improvement with an agile team.
• You have strong software development fundamentals and take pride in writing well-tested and readable code. BS or MS in computer science is preferred but if you've acquired the chops in some other way then come show us.
• You enjoy the challenge of maintaining and evolving a mature application ecosystem. Our software has tens of millions of users and has been in production for almost a decade. You relish chasing down defects that are only found in systems that have operated at this scale for many years.
• Experience building web products for end-users delivered in a scalable architecture.
• Experience with Mocha, Karma, Jasmine, Protractor, or another unit testing framework.
• Experience designing and using Java-based REST services using technologies like JAX-RS and Jetty.
• Experience with leading/managing a web application development team.
• Experience being a scrum master and running various scrum processes (stand-ups, planning, retrospectives etc).
• Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills.
Impress Us - Show us your work on GitHub.
About Oracle Utilities
Oracle Utilities Global Business Unit (UGBU) is a SaaS provider for the utility industry, using behavioral science to improve consumer engagement and increase energy efficiency. Utilities from around the world provide energy usage data from tens of millions of customers to Oracle UGBU which we then analyze and aggregate into key insights using the latest software technologies. The challenge for the web team is to reinvent the Utility industry's web presence to bring it on par with best of breed web development.
Manage a team that designs, develops, troubleshoots and debugs software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a manager of the software engineering division, you will apply your knowledge of software architecture to manage software development tasks associated with developing, debugging or designing software applications, operating systems and databases according to provided design specifications. Build enhancements within an existing software architecture and occasionally suggest improvements to the architecture.
Leads a specialized area which may have diverse functional elements. Frequently interacts with supervisors and/or functional peer group managers. May interact with senior management. Demonstrated leadership and people management skills. Strong communication skills, analytical skills, thorough understanding of product development. BS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. Typically one year of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.