What You'll Do
You'll help us resolve some of our customers' most challenging issues. The Cisco Security Escalations team seeks a motivated Engineer to help drive customer success, product quality and enhancements for the Next Generation Intrusion Prevention System (NGIPS), Next Generation Firewall (NGFW) and FireThreat Defense (FTD) Platforms.
This is an opportunity to join one of the most challenging, highly visible and rewarding roles within Cisco Security Engineering. You will have an opportunity to apply all of your development and troubleshootin g skills to solve unique and complex issues in a vast number of product areas (Security/UI/N etworking/OS/D B/Hardware).
Who You'll Work With
Our team works with Cisco Support and other teams within the Engineering organization to troubleshoot, debug and resolve a wide array of issues encountered by product users. You will also have an opportunity to guide new feature implementation from inception and design, to i mplementation.
* Provide technical guidance to junior members of the team team.
* Identify and fix problems in released products through troubleshootin g and code analysis.
* Work with peers investigate and drive critical issues to resolution.
* Build debug binaries and scripts to aid in identification of customer facing issues.
* Reproduce customer issues escalated from support.
* Work with customers and support teams to gather sufficient information to reproduce customer problems.
* Work with Product Development team to identify product serviceability issues and address quality problems.
* Work with Development teams to provide feedback and guidance on new features.
* Work with test teams to create system test cases to prevent future occurrence of identified bugs.
* Help facilitate problem solving and collaboration within the team.
Who You Are
We are looking for a talented Software Engineer with development experience to be part of the Engineering Escalations team. The successful candidate will have prior experience working own an enterprise level solution, a history of successful engagements with other business entities and customers, solid experience with Perl/C/Linux Shell Scripts, strong troubleshootin g skills, and a strong understanding of Security, Linux administration and networking architectures.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
* Bachelors degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
* 5+ years experience in commercial software development or advanced degree
* Strong troubleshootin g and analytical skills
* Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
* Ability to learn new skills and apply them quickly
* Ability to understand legacy code to identify and fix problems
* Strong verbal and written communication skills
* 5+ years experience with C/C++
* 3+ years experience with Perl or equivalent language
* 2+ years experience working with GDB
Demonstrable proficiency with Linux shell scripting languages
* Demonstrable proficiency in Linux system administration
* Solid understanding of networking architecture such as routing/switch ing, IP,TCP/UDP, and application layers such as HTTP, SMTP, etc
* Experience with Ethernet packet based analysis
* Fundamental understanding of network security principles
Desired knowledge, skills and abilities:
* Experience investigating core files using GNU debugger
* Knowledge of network security concepts
* Reverse engineering experience is a strong plus
* Knowledge of MySQL or other relational databases
* Experience with network security tools such as Snort, nmap, nessus, ethereal, tcpdump, and tcpreplay
We connect everything: people, p rocesses,data, and things. We innovate everywhere, taking bold risks to shape the technologies that give us smart cities, connected cars, and handheld hospitals. We do this in style with unique personalities who aren't afraid to change the way the world works, lives, plays and learns. We are thought leaders, tech geeks, pop culture aficionados, and we even have a few purple haired rock stars. We celebrate the creativity and diversity that fuels our innovation. We are dreamers and we are doers.
A little about us:
We are one, big, techie, employee tribe that changes the world while having fun.