GE is the world's Digital Industrial Company, transforming industry with software-defined machines and solutions that are connected, responsive and predictive. Through our people, leadership development, services, technology and scale, GE delivers better outcomes for global customers by speaking the language of industry.
At GE Global Research, we're redefining what's possible. From cutting-edge research in molecular pathology for use in personalized cancer diagnostics to programs in coal gasification and renewable power that drive clean energy solutions, our work at Global Research is world-renowned. As part of our team, you'll find yourself among nearly 3,000 scientists and engineers from every discipline in a dynamic atmosphere where you'll be constantly challenged to learn and grow. You'll have access to leaders on all levels of the organization and collaborate across the globe with the very best in the field. If you have an insatiable intellectual curiosity and the ability to articulate your vision, then join us and watch the work you do create the next generation of products and processes that will impact the globe for generations to come.
At GE Global Research we redefine what's possible, finding answers to some of the world's toughest problems. Find out more athttp://www.ge.com/researchorhttp://twitter.com/geresearchjobs, and connect with our technologists athttp://twitter.com/GEresearch
There is always an exciting new challenge on the horizon at GE Global Research because "what we imagine, we can make happen."
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is anEqual Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Posted Position Title
Software Engineer II
Applications and Software
Location(s) Where Opening Is Available United States
U.S. State, China or Canada Provinces
As a Software Engineer you will work closely with GE research teams and GE businesses to identify and implement new services and product opportunities in diverse areas by providing software design and development expertise.
In this role you will work with a team of software engineers and researchers to develop next generation software solutions in an Agile/Scrum research environment. You will understand the research needs, translate them into user stories, develop suitable solutions and implement them. You will help contribute across a wide array of technical domains and GE business cases toward the creation of the Industrial Internet vision. You will contribute to the continuous growth and improvement of the Software Systems Lab.
* Create software systems, products, projects, and tools that transform GE's products
* Work closely with our GE business partners to design and implement software to address and solve business challenges and issues
* Utilize or create state-of-the-art technology to solve such problems alongside other research teams from many different domains
* Work iteratively with customers to test ideas, understand their needs, and seek frequent feedback
* Design and deploy software applications that enable GE businesses to provide new services
* Evaluate emerging software technologies and determine where they can be used to bring value to GE
* Promote Agile/Scrum software engineering practices in the day-to-day development of research solutions
* Become familiar with, leverage, and reuse the platforms, frameworks, and technologies developed within GE's SW COE where applicable
* Craft quality software using modern development and testing tools and practices
* Innovate, patent and publish, as appropriate
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related discipline with a minimum 5 years' experience in software design and development
* Knowledge of OOD, software design patterns and principles
* Experience with one or more of Java, Play, OSGI, HTML5, C, C++, C# or .Net programming languages
* Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment
* Experience developing and executing test plans in a continuous integration environment, including unit testing, regression testing, smoke tests, etc.
* Experience with source code control systems (perforce, subversion, or git, etc.) and associated practices
* Experience with Windows or Unix/Linux based programming
* Demonstrated ability to convert high-level customer needs into a technical development strategy
* Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required; we will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening
* Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY
* Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process
* Must be 18 years or older
* You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at www.gecareers.com to be considered
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
* Master's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related discipline with a minimum 5 years' experience in software design and development
* Experience with Behavior Driven Development and/or Test Driven Development (BDD/TDD)
* Certified Scrum Master (CSM) or Certified Product Owner (CPO) or similar
* Experience and familiarity with Agile methods and Continuous Integration including but not limited to: Program and Release Backlog magement (Jira/Greenhopper), Defect Tracking (Jira), Collaboration (Confluence, Colab, Jive, others), Test Automation (JUnit, NUnit, TestNG, PaxExam), Continuous Integration/Deployment (Bamboo, Hudson), Code Review (Fisheye/Crucible), Artifact Repository (Artifactory, Confluence, GE Folders/Libraries)
* Experience with industrial control systems
* Experience with Matlab or Simulink
* Experience developing multi-language systems
* Experience with embedded software, real-time operating systems and/or control technologies
* Strong knowledge of XML technology
* Experience with Web services
* Experience in architecting web applications and web services, including experience with Spring, Hibernate, Web Portal, Ajax, JSP, JSF, REST, RESTEasy, SOAP, ServiceMix, CSS, XML, JSON
* Experience in cloud computing and cloud hosted web services such as Amazon AWS, EC2 and S3
* Experience in databases (e.g. Oracle, MySQL, SQL Server) and database design tools
* Experience transitioning a software application from a development environment to production
* Experience working in an industrial research environment
* Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Communicate effectively both in written and oral English
* Self-motivated, innovative, willing to pursue new technical areas and capable of working independently
A little about us:
GE imagination at work.