Microsoft Core Services and Engineering is for those professionals and business technology professionals who want to be strategic partners to the business and be the first place to create innovative solutions using all of Microsoft’s products and services. Microsoft Core Services and Engineering provides career growth opportunities, a rewarding and flexible work environment so you can better integrate professional and personal life. Inspiring what’s next, Microsoft Core Services and Engineering employees make global impact on thousands of customers and thousands of employees who use Microsoft software and services. We provide Digital Security and Risk Engineering. And we’re kind of a big deal.
Are you skilled and ready to design and operate enterprise class infrastructure systems? Are you passionate about enterprise technology design and architecture? Do you have the capability to lead and influence? This is an exciting opportunity to be the authoritative source for implementation and design for Identity and Access services in the Microsoft enterprise. Are you an experienced Services architect or engineer? Do you see yourself participating as Microsoft’s first and best customer, evaluating new products and technologies well ahead of everyone else?
In Microsoft’s Digital Security and Risk Engineering (DSRE) division, you will be a leader for technology innovation and delivery for services enabling secure access and administration across the company and to the cloud, drive customer adoption of these technologies, and work with the product groups on enhancements and product marketing for Identity and Access services to enterprise customers. In addition, you will help to lead security design and end-to-end solutions to meet industry and company compliance efforts. Candidates for this systems engineering position will require experience working with internal customers, leading virtual teams, deep technical knowledge of Windows, Networking and Security services as well as integration of multiple technologies to solve complex business problems.
This position is responsible for the design and leadership of development of solutions that incorporate the Microsoft Windows Server product suite in such a way as to improve Microsoft products, secure the corporate environment and deliver Identity management solutions to Microsoft and its partners. Other critical skills and experience vital to this position include Windows Server product dependencies, technical and business requirements analysis, ability to subvert technical design decisions to the needs of the business, authoring technical specifications, communicating your design and vision to program management, architects, and senior management.
The technical aspects of the role include authoring design specs, as-built diagrams, and engineering deployment docs; developing and testing proof of concepts, running pilots, building test cases and feature sign-off. This role also requires running the service(s) in a day-to-day DEVOPS role, responsible for service up-time and availability.
• Perform system engineering design work for Core Windows Services, PKI, ADFS, and Windows Active Directory.
• Practical experience with Windows Azure based technologies
• Provide technical leadership to a cross-functional engineering and operations team
• Understand the business and define what is technically needed to meet strategic objectives and the day-to-day running of the service. This includes identification and innovation of new service capabilities that meets customer and security requirements.
• Identify service improvements and develop and design tools that will streamline the service to improve end-user experiences and lower operating costs.
• After design, build, and initial pilot of solutions, ensure appropriate transition to Service Availability / Operations teams to run the new solutions. Transition work includes documentation such as a technical specs and deployment guides to name a couple, and training of operations personnel.
• Work closely with the Product Groups to deploy pre-released software, to provide product timely feedback, and to drive improvements into the products.
• Contribute toward the strategic direction for Corporate Strategy Identity and Access Services.
• Own projects within the team and portions of department-wide projects of small-to-medium scope. Work with program management, service management, architects, and peer engineers to delivery on project objectives.
• Collaborate with other service teams to assist in solving their service problems when related to your services
• Evaluate service feature requests, assist in prioritization, and analyze them for impact to operations and delivery cost
• Develop procedures and documentation to ensure the reliability, integrity, efficiency, and cost effectiveness of the system
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills
• Communicate on a deeply technical level with product engineering and operations teams to improve and optimize both the product and the infrastructure
• Publish functional, technical documents regarding the hosted environment in conjunction with marketing and product engineering
Unique Job Responsibilities:
• Solid knowledge of Windows server operating systems as well as Windows Server 2012/2016, and Windows Client; working knowledge of Active Directory, Networking and SQL.
• Become an operational subject matter expert on technologies such as Forefront Identity Manager and Windows security.
• Triage and prioritize operational issues and determine communication required to management
• Strong written and oral communication skills required with special focus on writing technical documentation for use in operations
• Evaluate the effectiveness and validity of related knowledge base support articles along with any applicable policy/procedures and provide direct feedback to the article author(s)
• Occasional customer engagements sharing Microsoft’s IT solutions and experiences
Requirements/Qualifications, Previous Work and Related Experience (including educational requirements):
• Minimum 5 years’ experience in the IT industry
• BS/BA in Computer Science
• Solid experience in systems engineering and operations support roles interfacing with customers
• Strong scripting and/or coding skills including one or more of the following: PowerShell, VB.NET, or C#
• Moderate to deep knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory Services (Active Directory Certificate Services, Domain Services, Federation Services, Networking Services)
• Ability and willingness to work under a DevOps model as part of a rotational escalation on-call team
• Proven capability to effectively work in teams, collaborate, communicate, and deliver on accountabilities
• Strong problem resolution, judgment, communication and decision-making skills
• Strong analytical and organizational skills
• Strong ability to implement operational efficiencies through scripting, i.e. automation
• Deep knowledge of Windows operating systems and networking
• Deep understanding of current industry wide security risks against the enterprise
• Security solution engineering
• MCSE strongly preferred
• Practical experience with ITIL/MOF or CISSP is a plus
Additional traits sought:
• Combine technical with business understanding of critical infrastructure systems
• Have a comprehensive view of service lifecycle and delivery
• Excellent problem solving and analysis aptitude
• Strong attention to detail
• Ability to step back and view the big picture
• Strong ability to influence others across groups
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A little about us:
Microsoft offers training and employment opportunities to help you turn your military experience and skills into a civilian technology career.