Produce more. Conserve more. Improve lives. That's Monsanto's vision for a better world. Achieving this vision demands revolutionizing agriculture through technology.
The Global Breeding Organization seeks an exceptional student to join our team of software engineers at our world headquarters in St. Louis, Missouri. The successful candidate must demonstrate passion and ownership by embracing all aspects of software development: analysis, development, testing and deployment.
This six-month co-op will collaborate closely with team members and partners within the business. The term for this assignment will be for spring (January - June) or fall (June - December) of 2017.
- Working with scientists to define systems needs for data collection, data analysis, compliance and reporting, and reconstructing ability in a scientific environment.
- Developing solutions using a variety of languages that satisfy the needs of the Monsanto scientific community in the short term when longer term solutions are not yet available.
- Eliciting requirements using interviews, document analysis, surveys, business process descriptions, and use case scenarios.
Taking pride in software craftsmanship, diving deep into code and constantly innovating. It is critical that the co-op demonstrates curiosity and works proactively-with a desire to learn something new each day in order to think through difficult challenges and work with the team to find solutions. A willingness to ask for help when needed and openness to giving and receiving constructive feedback is a must. Required:
- Current enrollment in a BS or MS Computer Science program at a college or university within the U.S.
- Customer engagement including ideation, design thinking, and seeking rapid feedback
- Developing large-scale, custom distributed software systems in Java, Scala and/or C#
- System design with SOA/REST/Microservices
- Relational database design and access (e.g., Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Full scope test automation from unit to behavioral/functional to integration (e.g JUnit, ScalaTest, JBehave, Cucumber)
- Detailed technical problem solving and troubleshooting
- Agriculture domain knowledge
- Mobile development experience
- Experience working with large data sets
- Experience with NoSQL stores (e.g., MongoDB, Couchbase, Neo4J)
- Experience with search/analytics tools (e.g. ElasticSearch, Solr)
- Cloud-first development experience with automated, continuous delivery deployments
- Knowledge with AWS/cloud or similar distributed architecture
A little about us:
At Monsanto, we believe that diverse perspectives solve big challenges and deliver a broad range of solutions to help nourish our growing world.