Blizzard Entertainment has an opening for a talented and enthusiastic software engineer to join our Battle.net Accounts and Commerce team!
You will work with a small and talented team to develop scalable, highly performant commerce platform services, and, interact across Blizzard to integrate and operate that platform in collaboration with all of our games. This role focuses on server-side software engineering and architecture, and spends a lot of time interfacing with game team stakeholders around the company, and has a strong focus on improving the commerce platform and empowering our games to integrate, operate and maintain things more effectively. The current primary goal is to empower games to integrate with the platform more simply, more automatically, and in a more hands-off self-driven manner by designing, planning and developing means of improving our integration practices through a combination of process, internal software tool development, and software development of the platform itself. You will join a small squad that owns this effort and become a part of driving this goal with a large amount of autonomy, and will have a lot of latitude towards making it as effective as possible. All while frequently communicating and collaborating with all of our games to make it happen across Blizzard.
The Battle.net Accounts and Commerce team develops the services and infrastructure that houses hundreds of millions of Battle.net accounts, and, handles millions of transactions for the StarCraft, Heroes of the Storm, Diablo, World of Warcraft, Hearthstone and Overwatch franchises in multiple regions around the globe 365/24/7.
Ever wonder how that WoW spectral mount is represented in our DB ? Or, what happens when you click 'Buy' in Hearthstone for additional booster packs ? Curious what happens on a game launch night, where millions of customers attend midnight launches and rush home to claim a key to unlock access to games, features, upgrades, and more ? Have you added an authenticator or your mobile number to bolster the security of your account ? Well, we're the team that provides the platform that powers all of those features and more across all of Blizzard.
We primarily use Java, and technologies like Tomcat, Spring, RabbitMQ, RDBMSs, and more, to deliver a world-class platform for our internal game teams, as well as our customer support and web teams. You would join the team that is an internal hub at Blizzard, and would be involved in some fashion on nearly every major release within Blizzard!
- A minimum of 2 years' combined professional software engineering, including some systems integration/engineering experience, emphasis on application/systems integration of disparate applications
- Very solid soft/interpersonal and communications skills, with a customer service friendly and empathetic approach. Our customers are Blizzard's game teams. Our products are services and APIs.
- Solid knowledge of CS fundamentals, including algorithms, data structures, and design patterns
- Some understanding of service-oriented architectures, including web services, message-oriented middleware, security, and n-tier architectures
- Previous experience developing, delivering and maintaining easy-to-use APIs to multiple consumers
- Previous experience integrating systems and API services to multiple consumers
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or, equivalent experience
- Some experience operating large distributed systems at high scale (hundreds of servers, global deployment, tens of thousands of API req/sec)
- Familiarity with various forms of testing practices, including integration, regression, acceptance, functional and load testing, ideally automated
- Familiarity with HTTP/JSON, AMQP and Google Protobuf web services
- Familiarity with the Spring Framework and Java EE paradigms and concepts.
- Familiarity with the Oracle RDBMS
A little about us:
Blizzard Entertainment is a premier developer/publisher of entertainment software, including World of Warcraft, StarCraft, Diablo, and Hearthstone.